OS X Tablet?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Liquinn, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Liquinn Suspended

Will we ever see an official OS X tablet?

Well, will we? I'm interested to get a debate going and it'd be cool to hear everyone else's thoughts on the subject.

2. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I think they have one called an ipad. you want something between a ipad and a laptop? whats the point?

3. sumone macrumors regular

I thought the iPad ran iOS not OS X.

And I would like to see a Tablet that runs OS X. I like iOS for a phone but I would like a device that runs pretty much the same as my computer but in a more "grab n go" form factor.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

iOS is built on OS X's core frameworks. It's basically a GUI stripped down version of OS X.

It never took off for Windows and Apple knows it. As long as Steve Jobs is alive* there will never be an official Apple tablet that runs OS X.

OS X was built for mice and keyboards not touch. However, it is possible that they create a radically different touch version of OS X as they know how much average people like touch.

*Please refrain from using any Steve Jobs death jokes. They aren't funny.

5. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

You *could* VNC to a Mac from the iPad, but that isn't the same, I guess.

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I highly doubt that there will be a proper OS X tablet released any time soon (4 yearsish).

The iPad is the closest you'll get.

7. sumone macrumors regular

I really hope that's not the reason Apple has not made an OS X tablet. Apple and Windows are two different companies if something doesn't work out for Windows it doesn't mean that the same fate is destined for Apple. Apple has proved time and time again that they know how to sale a product. As you mentioned, I think the main reason has to do with them having to "reconstruct" OS X to work efficiently with a tablet.

8. alexbates, Sep 8, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011

alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

This question pops up a lot because many people think of Mac OS X as superior to iOS. I thought the same way a year and a half ago, so I converted a 10" netbook into an keyboard-less OS X Snow Leopard tablet (resistive touch) to mock the iPad. But now I think the idea of running OS X on a tablet makes no sense at all.

It won't happen because OS X is simply not designed for touch input. Imagine having to tap the red X to close application windows, organizing windows, and having to zoom in and out to click tiny buttons... it's just not user friendly. Also the 9.7" display is too small to run OS X, which is why Steve Jobs always thought of the netbook as a terrible idea. If or when Apple releases a tablet with a display larger than 10", it would just run a more advanced version of iOS for the reason of touch friendliness.

Despite how great Lion is, OS X is aging and is not as simple to operate as tablets running iOS, Android, webOS, etc. I have a strong feeling that the next release of Mac OS (or possible the release after) will ditch the File, Edit, View, etc. dropdowns in the Menu Bar, the Apple Menu in the Menu Bar, the desktop, non-full screen apps, and if not entirely removing Finder, simplifying it. Every single item within the File, Edit, View, Window (etc.) dropdowns would be better off as a button within the open application (such as the back-forward buttons), as an option within System Preferences, or not existing at all. iOS perfects this by, for example, having the "Add Bookmark" and "Print" options in Mobile Safari available within a button next to the address bar. iOS is also great at having less ways to perform a particular function. The only way to power off an iOS device is by holding down the power button, there is no :apple: > Shutdown button on the main screen. Kind of like how BMW cars do not have lock/unlock buttons on the driver and passenger doors... only a single button between the driver and passenger seat. Less is more.

9. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Then how come, at just an inch bigger, my Macbook Air runs OSX wonderfully? And honestly, the computer could even still be a bit smaller without any problems.

The future of OSX you envision sounds horrible. Like a Fischer Price. There's a reason why an iPad can't be used as a legitimate computer replacement. iOS' stripped down nature creates roadblocks to productivity.

10. chrismacguy, Sep 8, 2011

chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Having owned quite a few of the Windows "TabletPCs" (I currently have 2, a 1st-Gen 2002-era one, and a modern one, but Ive owned 4 or 5) - I can safely say that Apple really shouldn't try and get OS X to work well on a Tablet. The simple fact of the matter is that Mac OS X and Windows just don't work well on a Tablet. (I have to use the stylus on my Tablets the entire time, its Pen Computing, not Finger Computing). The only time it makes sense is for Graphical Work, and then you can either get a ModBook, or a Cintiq Monitor.

The whole OS experience "sucks" on a Tablet. I spend 90% of my time when Im not using them as a plain OneNote Pad (i.e. when Im not note-taking, which is what I bought them for), with my Tablets configured as a conventional laptop, because navigating the OS and getting anything done is a massive pain. As great as OS X is, it will be just as bad as Windows 7 on a Tablet. i.e. Horrid.

If that EVER happens you will see a mass exodus as me and every other professional ditches Mac OS X forever. I don't want a Finder with 100 Options as Buttons. That is just about the first HCI lesson you ever learn in CS "Don't pepper the screen with 4,000,000 buttons. 10 and a Menu enhances useability. Also, how am I supposed to manage all my complex project files? For a OS designed for a desktop that whole idea is ridiculous. Please explain how exactly Maya, or Logic Pro, or XCode or Final Cut Pro or Motion is supposed to work in this new world? How am I supposed to create an iOS Application made up of hundreds of files and resources and keep them organised with a Finder that will have so many buttons that to see them all I will have to have a single Finder Window at 5120*1440? And only then can I see my files?

11. Liquinn thread starter Suspended

I do see your points, I VNCed to a Windows box of mine and from my iPad and it didn't seem right. But the problem with touchscreen devices, you can't connect a mouse, it's either touchscreen or a mouse...

12. alexbates, Sep 8, 2011

alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

The 11.6" Air is two inches larger than the iPad, and it has more pixels than the 13" Macbook Pro. And you have a trackpad to click small buttons, which is twice as hard using a capacitive touchscreen. If the Macbook Air display was 9.7 or 10", the keyboard would have to be smaller.

Well, for some people the iPad is a great alternative to a computer. Two of my relatives just ditched a PC and Mac for iPads. But they are retired and don't need to do four things at once. A tablet is also a great computer alternative for kids ~12 and under. iOS itself does not hinder productivity. If there was a 15" iPad with a decent resolution, Safari and Pages could be running at the same time side-by-side, and would work nearly as well as a Mac if a bluetooth keyboard was connected. And with iOS 5's multitasking gestures, switching between workspaces would be even more like a using a Magic Trackpad in Lion.

I am in no way suggesting that all dropdowns should be removed from OS X and be replaced with a million buttons. I am only saying that there should not be universal File, Edit, View, Window, Help, etc. dropdowns in the menu bar. Applications such as Finder, Safari, App Store, iCal, Photobooth, Calculator, and System Preferences need no more than 1-2 dropdowns because of how simple they are.

As an example- Finder: The "Window" and "Help" tabs are entirely unnecessary. Under "Go", the only items that need to be preserved are "Go to folder" and "Connect to server." Those could easily be placed under a dropdown like the "Action" (gear icon) within the window. Most of the items under "File," "Edit," and "View" are already available under "Action" or are set as default icons (such as viewing icons, list, or cover flow). Do you understand the point I'm making? There are two ways to do the same exact things, and it just makes everything more complicated.

In iWork, Xcode, and Final Cut Pro you absolutely need many dropdowns to keep everything organized. But they should be within the application window and should have icons (along with or in replacement of text), they should not be on the Menu Bar. Even iWork and Photoshop Express for iPad have 3-4 dropdowns.

All windows being full screen doesn't mean that you can't have two or more windows on the same screen at once. You could have Xcode taking up 3/4 of the screen and Finder taking up the other 1/4, but just not be able to stretch windows from the corners.

13. Kentochan macrumors 6502

Kentochan

I don't think we'll see OS X tablets anytime soon because a) the iPad is selling so well and b) laptops are still more practical than an OS X tablet.

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

We will never see an OS X based tablet, the closest you get will be iOS which is based on OS X. The reason like a lot of other people have said is that a desktop OS doesn't work on a tablet, OS X would suck if you had to use a touch screen.

15. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

The finger-unfriendly interface of OSX combined with the weaknesses of a tablet's hardware... I can't see why they haven't made these yet :p

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think you are probably correct.

17. MacHamster68, Sep 9, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

officially not but hackintoshing a atom based tablet should be easy especially this one
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/hackintosh-axon-tablet-mac-os-x-osx,11083.html

but i prefere Android for tablets or phones anyway