OS X 'Terminal' Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by L4byr1nth, Dec 15, 2008.

1. L4byr1nth macrumors newbie

Hi guys!

Sorry if this is a n00b question - I've only just converted from PC's with my first, shiny, brand-new MacBook, and I love it.

Anyway, onto the question.

I used to use my old laptop to monitor our home network. We have a constant problem with neighbours and suchlike leeching our wireless connection. I need to know how to do the following things that I used to be able to do on Command Prompt in Windows;

1./ I need to know the command to list all the users currently connected to my network, along with their I.P.'s

2./ I'd love to know how to find I.P.'s of websites. On CP it was like 'tracert myspace.com' or whatever.

3./ I need to know how to send a pop-up message to other network users. Is it possible to do it to Windows-based machines? I know in Command Prompt, it was 'net send', then the username, then the message.

4./ Anything else of use - preferably things Macs can do that PC's can't! Network related stuff is even more useful!

Thanks in advance, and sorry if it's a completely n00b question.

L4byr1nth.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Networking isn't my strong point, but I can answer a few of your questions.

I just use ping myspace.com

Again, I'm not really sure about the network specifics, but you can message other connected users (including remote logins over ssh) using echo 'Foo' | wall

I love ssh, personally. I'm sure Windows has remote login as well, but I don't know its command line that well. To allow other computers to connect to you over ssh, go to  > System Preferences > Sharing, and enable Remote Login. As well, top is super handy, and don't forget the trusty man.

Bear in mind that Mac OS X is a *nix operating system, so most UNIX/Linux commands will also work on OS X. When in doubt, Google is your friend. There's an awesome guide to UNIX/Linux commands here, but I use the command line more in Ubuntu than OS X, so I can't promise that all of them will work for you.

I don't think most n00bs know what Terminal is. ;)

3. L4byr1nth thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast reply, man.

About that 'echo' command - I was wondering whether Windows-based PC's would pick that up?

Also, can you give me an example using the 'write' command, to target a specific user?

I keep trying 'Write NAME MESSAGE' but it won't fly.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. What is SSH? :D

Ben.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

The command is actually wall. Actually, echo functions in exactly the same way as it does in DOS, and is just being piped into wall.

No, they won't.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

man write
    man ssh

;)

6. L4byr1nth thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, that is useful!

So there is no way of writing Windows users a message?

Ben.

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Email? :rolleyes:

Not that I know of, no. I'm sure Linux users have an app that can do that, since they have a kitchensink app, after all. ;)

8. L4byr1nth thread starter macrumors newbie

Hahahahaha!

It's weird that we can connect to the same network, use the same broadband, but I can't message the usernames or I.P.'s of Windows users who shouldn't be leeching my connection!

Oh well!

Ben.