OS X (Tiger) on Apple TV (1st Gen)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by 4sthm4, Nov 18, 2014.

1. 4sthm4 macrumors newbie

Hello, fellow MacLovers!

New to MacRumor's forums, so let me introduce myself...

I am a tech freak and can't survive without it. I could spend days and nights on end trying to fix a device or get it to work the way I want it to. I suppose you could say I enjoy a challenge.

I was always familiar using the iProducts (iPod, iPhone, iPad) but I just recently got into using OS X with my recently purchased MacBook Pro Retina 15" 4 months ago.

I am here frequently to find info on what I need and I usually can make it through without having to post anything but this problem has had me stumped for a few months. I Google up and down, left and right but can't find what I need.

I'm on and off with it hoping that I will bump into another solution down the road by chance. I have been trying VERY hard to get this going AT ALL to no avail... now I am posting on this forum, hoping I can find my answers.

I have been trying to get one of my 1st Gen ATV to run OS X Tiger (10.4, X86) so that I could use it as my download manager and such because I do not want to put the strain on my beautiful MBPR.

I completely understand all the steps required on all the online tutorials I have read and I have tried everything I could try:
    - I have even bought a USB to IDE reader to try to just do it directly to the HDD of the ATV
    - I tried to use Disk Utility to make a bootable USB install of OS X Tiger but it won't even let me select the ISO
    - Somehow, with a 3rd Party app, I managed to copy the ISO over to a USB and made it bootable... but it won't boot on my MBPR
    - I can't just run the install from the mounted ISO and try to install it directly to the HDD connected with the USB-IDE cable
    - I also found a tutorial that used Terminal commands and followed that but it didn't help

I am utterly out of gas and I can't find any ways around anything...

I'm running OS X Yosemite (10.10), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

The OS X Tiger install is Intel compatible and is just an ISO from a torrent download I have found

The USB I am using has 8 GB or I even have 32 GB ones to spare

The HDD is a 60 GB OEM directly from the Apple TV, itself

Hopefully, this is enough information to give to help anyone help me find a solution. Maybe, I'm not doing enough research or I am looking in the wrong corners... but I am not about to give up!

2. 4sthm4 thread starter macrumors newbie