OS X Tiger on iBook G3 600mhz...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 1ncr3du10u5, Jul 29, 2009.

1. 1ncr3du10u5 macrumors member

Hi folks. I'm trying to install a retail version of OS X Tiger on an iBook G3 600mhz but all I'm getting is a blue screen after the initial grey screen with white apple logo.

I've managed to get OS X Panther on it no problem but Tiger is just not playing ball. I'm having to boot up in Target Disk mode or use an external Firewire DVD player and it does the same thing every time.

What I can say is that the iBook only has 128mb of RAM at present but I'm upgrading that in a day or two and I didn't think that would necessarily prevent the OS from being installed. Oh and it doesn't need a firmware upgrade.

What am I doing wrong?! Help!

2. oculus42 macrumors 6502

256 Mb

Tiger requires 256 MB of RAM. It may be choking because of this, or it might be tremendously slow because of the 128. I have installed Tiger on a 600 MHz iBook with more RAM, so I'm guessing it is a memory limitation.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you have another PowerPC Mac that meets the specs for tiger you could boot that off the Tiger DVD. Then boot the iBook into target disk mode (hold the 't' key while booting) and connect the two via firewire. It will be seen by the installer as a firewire HD. When you select a hard drive just choose the external and install.

I should think it would then boot into Tiger albeit in a painfully slow manner. Though it may still balk at the paltry 128MB RAM. I have done this for Macs that do not meet the CPU requirements but I could not say about ones that do not meet the RAM requirements with certainty.

4. pjmburg macrumors newbie

For what it's worth, the 4-cd version is available on some of the shadier parts of the internet ;). That's what I used to upgrade my iMac of similar vintage.

5. 1ncr3du10u5 thread starter macrumors member

I also have a 4-cd version, it get's to the 'Preparing installation...' part and then hangs. What was the RAM on your vintage iMac?

6. dot macrumors newbie

Good RAM is a must. With proper density.
    I've learned my lesson, when for over a year I was going crazy passing all the hardware tests, disk utility ones, diskwarrior etc. with extra 512mb ram. I managed to get Tiger installed on my ibook G3 500, but applications were shutting down on me without being able to do software updates.
    Good luck.