OS X tiger to Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ashann, Apr 22, 2010.

1. ashann macrumors newbie

I am looking to upgrade a mid 2007 imac to SL and am trying to find the best way to upgrade it to SL on the apple store web site all the sale is either the value pack or the leopard to Snow leopard upgrade i found this on ebay which claims it would work but am not sure

Does anybody know of any surefire ways to do this or if what is on ebay works
    Thanks in advance

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Illegally you can use the so-called Upgrade DVD (for Leopard to Snow Leopard) to upgrade from Tiger to SL. It is a retail DVD anyway. And cheaper than the one you linked to.

Using MRoogle will give you dozens of threads on this.

3. ashann thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks but im looking for something more legit but i'll keep my options open

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Legally you have to buy the Mac Box Set with iLife and iWork in it. I haven't heard of any other kind of retail DVD besides the 29USD Upgrade DVD, the 49USD Family Pack and the 169USD Mac Box Set.

So that DVD sold on eBay seems kinda scammy, why wouldn't Apple offer it, or why does the seller not have the iLife and iWork suite within the offer?

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

And thus it has an Intel processor, correct? My late 2007 Mini does, so I'm guessing your iMac does too. That's required for SL.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The first Intel iMac was released on January 10, 2006, so I guess it is an Intel Mac.

7. ashann thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

OP, the ebay items you posted is a scam. That's the disk Apple sells for $29, but the license is for upgrading Leopard.

The seller misrepresents the item.

9. acevergreen macrumors newbie

I upgraded my iMac (early 2008 model) from Tiger to Snow Leopard by using 2 products below
    1) Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard (apple claims this software is for upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard)

2) iLife

This worked for me without any problems. Actually you may get away with just buying the first product I mentioned but some people find some problem using their iLife came with Tiger version.

10. brucem91 macrumors 6502

Really, all you need is the $29 SL retail disc. However, if you are coming from Tiger, I don't believe you have the luxury of being able to upgrade, so you will have to do a clean install.

1)Backup all your data to external media
    2)Don't forget to unauthorize iTunes if you use the iTunes store at all
    3)Boot into SL retail disc
    4)Open Disk Utility
    5)Click on your HD on the left (Mine says 500.11 GB Hitachi HTS54)
    6)Click into the Partition Tab on the right
    7)Under Volume Scheme, select 1 Partition, then name it and set the format to Mac OS Extended(Journaled)
    8)Hit Apply, and wait a bit
    9)Quit Disk Utility, and begin the installation

Because the disc now doesn't see an existing OS X installation, it then proceeds to do a full installation.

11. macsmurf macrumors 65816

macsmurf

There is absolutely no legal reason not to get the "upgrade" DVD. It is simply untrue that they are only licensed to upgrade.

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Wow, that's a lot of unnecessary steps and incorrect information.

OP, inserting the standard $29 disk and running through the installer as normal (ignoring the uneducated poster quoted above) will work fine. I have done it myself.

As far as licensing, I believe it is understood that the licensing terms do not actually state that you cannot upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard via the $29 box, but that is in fact simply a recommendation by Apple.

jW

13. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Could someone who has a SL $29 disc post the actual language in the licensing agreement? That would be better than speculating.

The idea that Apple would sell that, and a much more expensive "box set" makes the contention that this is a recommendation quite suspicious. This is not at all the impression I have from press releases, articles quoting Apple execs, etc. Yeah, I could try to find some and post links, but I'm not going to spend time on it.

14. brucem91 macrumors 6502

How is it that I am uneducated just because I don't conform to YOUR mind? Regardless, on another forum I used to go to, a guy did the upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard, and had a whole bunch of issues, which is why I suggested the Clean Install option.

15. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

There is NOTHING illegal with this:

1. There is no law in no country on this planet that forbids it. And only LAWS can make something legal or illegal, not some product's EULA.

2. The accompanying EULA of the product says nowhere that you need to own Mac OS X Leopard in order to be allowed to install this version of Snow Leopard. And why should it? It's not sold as an upgrade, it's sold as a RETAIL version. See #3.

3. As you correctly mentioned yourself, it says RETAIL on the box - not upgrade. So it is a full version of the OS, not an upgrade. Loop back to #2.

Whoever distributed the fairy tale that the 29 bucks version is only an upgrade did a good job at spreading FUD.

16. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

That is the ONLY proper installation method of any OS, be it Windows or OS X, anyway. I have -never- seen a properly working upgrade installation of Mac OS X (or Windows), there are always some leftovers that either make the system slow, unstable or behave somehow unpredictable.

ALWAYS make a clean installation. Period.

17. CMEBLU macrumors newbie

Brucem91 Thank You...Successful Tiger to Snow Leopard

Brucem91 THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! How can anyone call this person an idiot when his instructions ALONE saved me so much time and headache. I bought the SL retail CD, not the box set, and was trying to update from Tiger. I had so many problems, Apple was of ZERO help, so that left me searching the internet in hope that I would find an answer. I did...Brucem91 gave very simple and easy to follow instructions that FINALLY allowed me to install SL on my first generation Intel Macbook Pro. I love Snow Leopard, I'm irritated that Apple makes everything so difficult if you don't "buy" all that they suggest.

Thanks to these old forums, I'm now in business. Thank you to the wonderful Brucem91 for showing me how to upgrade to Snow Leopard from Tiger with a computer that was giving me problems and Apple who doesn't support these kind of problems anymore.

----------

YOU SAVED MY LIFE, OR MY COMPUTER'S IS MORE LIKE IT. Thank you, in 2014, your instructions are still VERY VALUABLE!!!