os x time machine vs os x server time machine

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by .mark., Apr 25, 2008.

1. .mark. macrumors 6502

Is there any difference between how time machine works on os x and os x server? I'm talking about backing up clients on a network.

if I have a mac mini as a home server, will os x server provide a better/easier/more robust time machine than the standard os for backing up multiple macs?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Time Machine isn't a server-side backup strategy, it's intended for client use only, so OS X server isn't going to help you much there. OS X server simply allows you to set user quotas assuming that you're backing up to a disk attached to the server. It doesn't, however, do remote backups as such.

3. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

With server you can set backup rules/limits and allow all the clients to backup to HD connected to the server.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're better off spending the money that you would on OS X Server on a Time Capsule.

OS X Server is more then just Time Machine.

5. .mark. thread starter macrumors 6502

with the standard version of the OS, can I have a mac connected to an ext HD and then allow other macs on the network to backup to it via TM?

6. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yes, but it takes some setup and isn't as seamless as hooking up directly. It's not really intended for that and won't be supported by Apple.

EDIT: Oh, and tersono, I had to comment here too:

Leopard Server includes a feature call Time Machine Server, which does allow for backing up both the server and other Macs on the network to a server or RAID disk, and allows managing those as well. It is intended for that, it's just probably a little more advanced than the average user could/would get into.

jW