OS X to XP Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Enigmur, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Enigmur macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I found and downloaded the RDC Client for Mac from Mactopia last night and had trouble getting it connected.

I’m using Leopard on my Mac.

I turned on remote access on my XP Machine – I don’t have a password on it, is that the problem (the RDC in OSX asks for a username and password)? I tried setting the password as ‘1’ and trying again but it still didn’t work. Do I need to restart the XP machine after setting a password?
    Do I have to be logged out of windows XP to use it?

Thanks

2. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

I am not sure ARD is compatible with Microsoft remote desktop.

3. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

He is using Remote Desktop Client. I have used it with Leopard on a Windows XP Professional SP2 machine without any problems on my Local network. You do have to have a password, try one longer then "1."

You can also try sending the invitation as a file and put it on a flash drive then opening it up on your Mac. I have tried just the IP address (with name and password) and using the file. Both work fine for me.

4. Crash-n-Burn macrumors regular

Are you trying to connect from within your home network or from the outside?

Do you have a static ip set for your xp machine?

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Leave the user name password and domain blank in RDC and click connect it will dump you into a standard XP login screen. That should fix the problem. If its all setup correctly.

6. coocooforcocoap macrumors regular

coocooforcocoap

7. martinmartin macrumors 6502

is there any way to transfer files from the host computer to the local one via RDC?

Thanks

EDIT: Nevermind, i see this is possible in preferences - drives. although it is pretty buggy for me so far (keeps causing rdc to quit).

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Just go into the settings then under drives enable mapping whatever drive or folder of the mac. To the PC, then it will mount in my computer. :)

9. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

RDC requires that your Windows machine have a password. I use the 2.0 beta and had to set a password on my XP. works fine for me.