OS X trade up program?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jchildress, Dec 4, 2008.

1. jchildress macrumors member

A friend of mine gave me a Power Mac that he doesn't use anymore and he had Tiger installed on it. I have the Tiger retail box and all of it's contents. Is there any place I can go to trade up Tiger for Leopard paying a smaller amount compared to just buying Leopard out right?

Thanks,

2. chipchen macrumors 6502

hehe... yea.. it's here... or ebay... basically, sell tiger, buy leopard. you can probably buy leopard for about $80... and sell tiger for maybe $30 - $40?

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

That's true and would be form of tradeup- but I think you would find that making it clear that you have a retail boxed version of Tiger when selling would bring quite a bit higher prices than was predicted above! ;) There is still a lot of demand for retail Tiger disks, particularly when you look at other sources for it and the pricing it is offered for even used (Amazon marketplace sellers, etc.). With a combination of selling the retail package and some smart shopping for the Leopard package I would bet you could essentially break even in the end without too much sweat.

4. jchildress thread starter macrumors member

5. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Be careful though. Those tiger discs, if retail, are only for PPC. Most people are looking to put tiger on their intel mac, and those won't work.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yes, that is a point- unless you get the retail one that was released later that carried 10.4.6, since that one was a universal version for both PPC and Intel. The initial retail disks were indeed PPC only as the Intel transition had not begun when they were initially released.

To the OP- you definitely should determine which yours is and make it a point in your auction if you want to avoid hassles later from an unknowing buyer!