OS X Up-to-Date Turning Customers to Pirates?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bobloblaw1, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Bobloblaw1, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012

Bobloblaw1 macrumors newbie

Found this article online and decided to share it. I got quite frustrated with the whole OSX Mountain Lion Up-to-Date thing and find myself agreeing...

From the Article:

Thoughts?

Link

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The vast majority of Mac users aren't technically savvy enough to download a torrent and go through the hoops to install a torrented version of an operating system.

3. Bobloblaw1 thread starter macrumors newbie

good point, i bet a good lot of them just paid $20 instead of waiting

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Actually I bet they just waited and got their free copy anyways. :rolleyes:

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Don't forget previous problems with pirated Apple software that contained malware. It's not worth the risk.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

Many people have patience and are willing to wait a few days or a week before upgrading to Mountain Lion. Not everyone goes crazy if they can't get the latest and greatest within 24 hours or less.

I wouldn't upgrade until 10.8.1 or 10.8.2 is available to allow the inevitable exposure bugs are fixed.

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i bet most people waited, the up to date hicup was only about a day before it was fixed

true pirates are pirates they dont need a error message on a redemtion code to go pirating

8. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

That wouldn't be me. lol... I had the free upgrade, but I couldn't wait any longer for my free download redeem code so I just bought it. The redeem code came in over a week later so I feel it was worth it to not wait. :p

9. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

That's a blog-type post on a commercial website, BTW.

10. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

This was a stupid article... just got an MBP yesterday. I received the voucher for ML about 2 hours after I submitted it. Waiting for that long was really terrible and unacceptable! /s

11. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

You got yours in 2 hours and I got mine in a week. >_> Oh well.. lol.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So you have a license for OSX, does it matter if you download it from website A or website B. The bottom line is that you have the legal right to use it.

Personally, I wouldn't download OSX by way of a torrent, since malware could have been inserted but the point remains - I have a license to use it so I'm not pirating (stealing) it.

----------

[MOD NOTE]
    I'll put on my mod hat and mention that any instructions on how to torrent is not to be permitted by our rules

13. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

If there was malware you can tell via comments,

read the comments and look at seeders if theres not alot, it might be a fake,

also its not stealing,

Stealing is where the orginal is gone.

Wheres the orgial file of the torrent. Still where it is.

Its just coppying a digiatal file. wheres the harm? No incient by standers are hurt, not childern are hurt. No one is hurt besides some but hurt companys that makes millions of dollers

14. andyriot macrumors member

Can you elaborate on the "hoops" one must jump through? As far as I know, its just as easy as getting it from anywhere else. Download the DMG file, Launch it, Install. Doesn't take a lot of tech know-how to accomplish such a task. That is all.

15. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

Well sorry if its so easy to pirate. Get with the times grow up. Do you think IOS jail breakers also get free apps. They dam well do!

Now pirating is a normal thing.
    Most people who have low income make a desion like this

"Gee should I spend 50 bucks on food and not starve or spend that same money on this new porgram and stave to death?"

Or they could have both and pirate the software.

Think not everyone can pay for software

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

^^ the issue is not ease of use, but MacRumors has rules and we do not allow specific discussions on the techniques to steal software. Unless you want this thread to be locked, I'd stay away from that line of thought.

If you want to discuss the specifics of pirating software then I recommend finding a different forum that caters that topic.

Finally, I disagree with your assessment, many people including myself choose not to steal and while others do, you cannot state that its normal or I have to grow up because I choose not to steal.

17. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

Pirating in no way is stealing.

The big larger companys brain washed millions with that.
    This is a handy guide to understand better.
    [​IMG]

18. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Very silly analogies, considering that software you're stealing pays for the food that people put on their table. You're stealing regardless of what angle you're trying to justify it. You don't have the money so that makes stealing it okay? I mean... think about that. I don't care what you do at home on your computer, that's your business... but piracy is still piracy no matter how many ways you try and justify it. And insulting others because they choose not to steal makes even less sense.

19. SnowLeopard2008, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Stealing is taking something that isn't yours. You can steal ideas right? If I bought a license for ML, then I would download it through a torrent site if need to be. But I personally wouldn't because of the security concerns. It's true that not everyone can/want/need to pay for software. But that doesn't make it right to pirate/steal it. I don't have enough money to pay for a Ferrari. Does that make it ok to steal one from a dealership? NO. How about making a copy of it somehow? Still NO. I don't pirate music/movies either. People worked (some hard, some not so much) to produce that content. It doesn't matter if you or someone thinks it sucks or whatever and that makes it ok to pirate it.

Btw, torrenting and pirating/stealing are not always the same thing. I torrent Linux distros all the time. It's easier and more flexible and faster than downloading 5GBs all at once. The Linux distros that I download are 100% free. CentOS, Fedora and Ubuntu.