OS X Upgrade from Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by golfing bob, Jan 4, 2015.

1. golfing bob macrumors member

I have a Mid 2010 Macbook Pro 13" with 4 G Ram. I have the original OSX Snow Leopard and have never upgraded. Just got Turbo Tax and it would not work with my OSX 10.6.8. Looks like I need to upgrade to Yosemite? From what I see my Laptop meets the requirements. Any input or help would be appreciated. Don't want to loose any files on my or applications that I have now.

Thanks,

Bob

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

First, back up all of your data. Next, check to make sure that your current iLife/iWork app's are showing up in Purchases in the App Store. If they are, I'd personally recommend doing a clean install of Yosemite by creating a USB install drive. If they're not, you'll need to do an upgrade.

Also, make sure that your current app's are compatible with Yosemite. If they're older app's that require Rosetta to run, they won't work.

Note that the recommendation for a clean install is only my personal recommendation - it's a habit left over from my WinDoze daze.

3. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Before doing anything, make sure to do a Time Machine, CCC, Super Duper, or Disk Utility backup.

From the MAS, download Yosemite. It will download to your Applications folder. Once it gets done downloading, it will want to automatically start the install. Stop it by exiting out of that process. Use DiskMaker X to make a bootable USB disk of Yosemite. Once that is complete, boot your MBP via Command +R method. Enter Disk Utility and erase your HDD. Make sure it is formatted to Journaled Extended and the partition is GUID. Exit out of Disk Utility and reboot holding down the option key. You should see your USB bootable drive as an option to click on. That should start the install of Yosemite for you.

4. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

when i upgraded from snow leopard to yosemite and i imported from time machine, it skipped over my entire photo library. and wouldn't even touch it because ilife / iPhoto was too old.

manually drag your photo library from your hard disk to another hard disk
    when you upgrade or use apple's iphoto tool

oh yeah worth mentioning. my upgrade was from a 2006 to a brand new 2014 model , so i should mentioned that. maybe your in place upgrade would have a different experience then what i had

all my photos got duplicated on my iPhone as well
    it was a nightmare

5. golfing bob thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the information. I have a 500GB Passport external drive and thought I had been backing up through time machine. However when I checked i had only a few things backed up. No photos or applications. Can Yosemite be installed without a HD wipe? I obviously do not know how to work the time machine backup.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Yes, it can. Download Yosemite and then double-click the install file located in the Applications folder. Doing that will install Yosemite over your current OS.

Edited to add: If need be, manually drag files you want to save to your Passport drive, before you start the process. That way, if something goes awry, you still have your important files.

7. golfing bob thread starter macrumors member

What is the best way to drag my Photos from iphoto to the passport drive?

8. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

If your system is fine then you don't need to do a fresh install. Just download and install Yosemite (backup recommended) and if it doesn't come out well, then do a fresh install.

Remember when backing up, check the "Options..." to make sure nothing is left out.

9. golfing bob thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the info and tips. Upgrade is complete. It took 7 hours and 15 minutes from App store to complete. I had to update iPhoto after download this
    ch is included in the total time. Did not loose any photos or files.

Thanks again,

Golfing Bob

10. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Glad to read it worked out for you, Bob. :apple:

11. golfing bob thread starter macrumors member

When I did my upgrade I did it on top of Snow Leopard. My Disk space is getting low and is there a way to remove Snow Leopard now that Yosemite is installed?

12. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Not that I am aware of.

13. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

There's no need, the old Snow Leopard files are removed automatically. With your machine you can easily install a new hard drive if you wanted

14. golfing bob thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for everyone's help. Still working a few bugs out. My Canon mx430 was working fine wireless before changing to Yosemite. Now the wireless does not work. When I use the USB Port it works. It shows off line when I try to print wireless. Any ideas? When I print from my iPhone it is fine.

Bob

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have the exact same model and that happened to be also. I had to reinstall the drivers from the Canon web site and that fixed it. I had to reinstall both the printer and scanner drivers.

16. golfing bob thread starter macrumors member

Tried that but the drivers would not download. Do i need to turn the firewall off??

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have the firewall on and was able to get them. Are you using an adblocker or something that might be stopping this?

18. golfing bob thread starter macrumors member

When I download from the canon site it looks like it jumps to computer but I can't find it in downloads.

19. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you look in Safari preferences, do you have it set to move downloaded files to the Downloads folder? Is the Downloads folder in your Dock next to the trash can?

[​IMG]

20. golfing bob thread starter macrumors member

Safari is correct and the download folder is next to trash. Tried to download again from canon but no luck. I will just use the USB cable to printer.

Bob