OS X Upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jte1130, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Jte1130 macrumors newbie

I just got a new iPad mini and went to sync it with iTunes. Got a message that my iTunes is not up to date. Apparently I need to update my OS X before updating iTunes. Next problem is I read on the Apple site that I can't upgrade to Mountain Lion until I first update to Snow Leopard. Is this correct?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

might help to state what version of OS X and iTunes you're on now. I'm guessing 10.5?

3. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you need the 19 USD Upgrade DVD of Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard from the Apple Online Store first to upgrade your Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger or Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard installation to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, then use Software Update to at least update to 10.6.6, then you can use the Mac App Store (MAS) to download OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and install it.

If you want to make a bootable installation medium, you can follow these steps:

4. Bear macrumors G3

First bit of advice, make sure your computer can run Mountain Lion.

5. Jte1130 thread starter macrumors newbie

Currently I am running Mac OS X 10.5.8 and iTunes 10.6.3.

Here are the stats on my Mac:

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac9,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

6. simsaladimbamba

That Mac can run OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, but make sure to at least upgrade to 4 GB or 8 GB RAM via 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM modules. They can be had for less than 50 USD nowadays.

Specs of your iMac: http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...o-2.66-24-inch-aluminum-early-2009-specs.html

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

Just install bootcamp with either windows xp or windows 7, which can run the latest itunes. Upgrading to two OS X operating systems doesn't seem worth the slow downs and ram upgrades.

8. Jte1130 thread starter macrumors newbie

Received my Snow Leopard in the mail over the weekend and completed the first upgrade step. Want to run it a few days and make sure its all ok before doing the Mountain Lion upgrade.

As far as the Snow Leopard upgrade, it there anything I need to do now as far as the old OS goes or was that all wiped during the upgrade?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are fine. The Snow Leopard install wipes the previous install. Same thing will happen when you install Mountain Lion. Just install it right on top of Snow Leopard also and you will be good.

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You can probably use your iPad directly with Snow Leopard; I think SL supports iTunes 10.7, which in turn I think is the requirement for the newest iPads.

11. drambuie macrumors 6502a

Snow Leopard 10.6.8 supports iTunes 11. I have 10.6.8 with iTunes updated to 11.0.1.

12. msh1916 macrumors newbie

Can't get Snow Leopard to Install

I have an iMac running 10.5.8.

I bought a new Snow Leopard disk direct from Apple.

Each time I try to install I get same message at end "Install Failed, Restart and Try again" or something just like that.

My iMac has:
    Model Identifier: iMac9,1
    Pro Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Pro Speed: 2.93 GHz
    L2 Cache 6MB
    4GB of memory

If anyone has any advice it would be a great help.

Thanks for your time.

13. MrMacMack macrumors 6502a