OS X virtualisation

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sesshi, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I realise that Hackintoshing has taken most of the limelight thus far, but I'm wondering how far virtualisation of OS X has come along, since I haven't really seen anything about it.

I think that most people in a dual-OS-requiring situation - if they aren't rabid Apple enthusiasts, Born-Again Switchers or digital artists too lazy / too entrenched to switch to a more creatively enabling platform in many ways - would probably use Windows for the majority of their time, and/or the uses for Windows they have would require more 'native' use as far as the hardware layer is concerned.

For the other mindless noodling uses that they/I may have, OS X has many better points - but for this, it's fair to say that the horsepower requirements (especially in terms of virtualised GPU usage which is weak on most VM solutions) in many cases are less, and the need to boot into 'full-use' OS X is less, this being especially the case with higher-end hardware.

Since I've come to terms of the mild-to-severe inability of Apple hardware to meet my personal baseline professional needs for starters, I've felt it was far more suitable and far more useful to virtualise OS X under Windows than vice versa.

Anyone seen progress in this area?

2. Queso macrumors G4

The only supported solution is virtualising OSX Server in WMWare. Bearing in mind I only dual-boot OSX with Linux, both of which happily work on an iMac I'm not that clued up on the unofficial builds or their status. Sorry.

3. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

I'm aware that Fusion officially (and practically only) supports OS X Server virtualisation on OS X.

I was wondering about a hackintosh-level work on virtualisation.

4. kalex macrumors 65816

its not officially supported but it is definitely doable. but results are not pretty. its very slow and works much better if you actually use it on hardware. You can't do anything meaningful in vmware, just too slow

5. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

How slow are we talking about? Relatively slower than Parallels/Fusion? What were your installation steps? Thanks.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I wonder whether things might be a bit faster now that there are VMware Tools for OS X. VMs are always slow until you install the Tools.