OS X Virus! (AKA prank application)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nuks, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

So you have to plug in a USB key for this to work? :rolleyes:

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This is not a virus: it can't self replicate or infect other machines intentionally.

It's not even a trojan as it doesn't try and trick you into installing/running it.

Basically it's just an OSX application.

3. Nuks thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know, I know! I just thought it was interesting, that's all. Hence the exclamation mark in the original title..

4. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

How come it copies itself from a USB key automatically, without asking your permission/password??? I thought OS X computers could not do that. If so, tell me again why this is not a security risk

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

So the real question is, where can I download this? I'd love to "infect" my coworker's machines with it (since it doesn't really do anything, it'd just be a fun prank).

jW

6. Merlish macrumors member

"In the beginning were harmless computer viruses. Viruses born out of the wit of early computer adopters, viruses whose sole purpose was to surprise and amuse. A non-destructive form of artificial life." - :p

7. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

That's awesome. I'd so get my dad with that, he's not very computer savvy and will probably freak out. :p

Yes, I'm an evil son. :p

8. Nuks thread starter macrumors 6502a

In the video, the computer is left unattended with the desktop showing. I would assume that this is the only way it could be installed. If it is password protected, it probably wouldn't work. Otherwise, this idea would have the potential to be very, very malicious.

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

You could always install the kernel panic screensaver (NOTE it might not be Leopard Compatible as it caused my system preferences to crash but worked fine in Tiger) or change the desktop picture to a picture of an error message, this one is good because you can't click the buttons to dismiss it.

10. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

Yes, but shouldn't it still be impossible to install anything by simply plugging a USB drive, without clicking etc?

As for this "Virus", I want a copy. Does it work on PBs with a motion sensor I wonder.

11. bsod-it crashed macrumors newbie

bsod-it crashed

I would prefer iPanic. It's an app that you have to press Command+Q to exit, not just move the mouse.

12. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Uses the motion sensor on the MacBook Pro to do that. Pretty cool!

13. greggzccfclfc macrumors newbie

Best Ever Way 2 Use This!!!

if u have a slightly inexperienced mac user (e.g) ur father set this to the shortest time you can have before the screensaver activates. then switch off the mac and unplug the mouse and keyboard when the victim turns on his mac by the time he has finished mashing the keys and smacking the mouse on the desk, the screen saver will turn on ... it worked an absolute bloody treat for me :D:D:D:D!!

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

At work, the corporate IT department would take a very dim view of that. You could even get fired for breaking into your co-worker's machine. It doesn't matter if it's a prank or not.

15. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Who's to say he works at a big corporation? It could be his own business and have only a few close workers. And he didn't say he'd "break in" either.

16. ghking macrumors regular

ghking

geez america these days... :)

17. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Fortunately, I don't have a "corporate IT department". I work with two other guys in a small shop. So, I don't have to deal with that kinda BS. So happy about it too. :D

Didn't ever get around to doing that yet though. I did put the kernel panic screensaver on my dad's laptop though. He was only mildly amused unfortunately.

jW