OS X vs Windows - Graphics

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by rgarjr, May 15, 2009.

1. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Is it just me or do the images (pictures) etc, look better in OS X than in Windows on the Macs?

The images just seem so much crispier on OS X. Maybe its due to better graphics drivers on the OS X side, I dunno.

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

It's you...or it can depend on what screen you are using.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It's probably not graphics drivers, it may be how the OS renders images, or the app your using.

I do like the way OS X renders fonts over Windows.

4. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

It's likely your display settings.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I still need to tweak my color profile under Windows 7. It's annoying having the screen tilted so far back to differentiate white from yellow.

6. Riverbird macrumors member

I always noticed a difference in how images look. It just doesn't look as nice on Windows to me. I have looked on multiple machines and even bootcamp and I think Mac OS X just renders images better somehow. Preview looks better than image gallery in Windows in my opinion.

7. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

It's just you. "Crisper"? That's like saying candy taste better on a hill rather than in a valley.

8. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

And are the picture settings for Windows and Mac the same? I know Windows will usually use a different default Gamma setting than the one in Mac OS X.

9. aced411 macrumors 6502

It's the monitor

Ah I can settle this debate. The displays that come with imacs and macbook pro's are very high quality. Even the regular macbook displays are above average. The majority of your windows laptops and sub $200 range lcd's don't have near the quality. Pickup a nice Samsung 1000:1 contrast LCD with a good video card and you'll likely discover that images are just a vivid in Windows.

10. Matek macrumors 6502a

May I suggest you read up on MBP "very high quality" displays.

Besides I think the author of the topic is comparing the quality on the same hardware. The only difference could be the calibration of the screen - if your colour profile is different on Windows and OS X, one of them could simply be brighter and more saturated, which would make it look better. Anyway, ICC profiles are standard, you can save your OS X colour profile in a file and apply it in Windows, which should give you identical results afterwards.

Apart from that, it's placebo. Graphics card drivers cannot make the picture look sharper and crisper, they only affect image quality in 3D applications.