OS X widget wanted - daily currency exchange rate updates

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by feuerschlange, Dec 2, 2008.

1. feuerschlange macrumors regular

Is there a widget for Mac OS X, that reliably shows me daily updated currency exchange rates?

I need at least GBP, USD, EUR, RMB. Other currencies are bonus, but not essential.

2. Bodine macrumors member

3. feuerschlange thread starter macrumors regular

4. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Or, use Apple's Stock widget. USDEUR=X, for example, shows UD$ / Euro exchange rate. Fetched from Yahoo... And works with other currencies, just get their abbreviation.

5. feuerschlange thread starter macrumors regular

Thx, works ok.

I wish, it would be a bit more customizable and less bulky :)

6. Bodine macrumors member

I downloaded it last night and it seems to be working fine for me. I'll check it out again tonight and I'll let you know if I am having problems.

7. feuerschlange thread starter macrumors regular

8. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Probably a temporary issue. I just updated mine and it works just fine. I have been using the CurrencyConverter for years (make sure you click the update and give it a few seconds to get the latest, esp after a install/update -- I have occasionally seen it pick up older values first time after an update of the widget; and of course, I can't delete the older version from trash immediately since the OS says it is still in use :p so I do that after the next reboot).

9. feuerschlange thread starter macrumors regular

I tried again a few times.

It worked!

This is a great tool! Its much more useful (and nice to look at), than the conversion widget of OS X.

Is there a way, to log the exchange rate values to a file, to be able, to look up old exchange rates on certain dates?

10. BobZune macrumors 6502a

If you want the widget to do it, you'd have to write to the developer.

Or you can get the list from the New York Fed - even in excel format (there are other places, most want a subscription if you need historical data, even though they may give you one day's data at a time for free).

http://www.newyorkfed.org/markets/fxrates/historical/home.cfm

(They have CNY listed, I assume it is the same as RMB).

If you want to get finer grained data, look into some of the ForEx trading tools/brokerage house accounts.

11. Bodine macrumors member

Sorry I never got a chance to reply last night. I am glad it finally worked for you. I never got the error messages you saw when downloaded it. I have no idea if you can get a log of the rate values. Best of luck.