OS X - Windows Ethernet is slow, doesn't connect as username

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xUKHCx, Jul 9, 2008.

1. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I've got an ethernet cable connected between my iMac and a Windows computer.

The aim of this was to connect them together so I can transfer files quickly. However the connection is very slow ~1.4MB/s :(.

In OS X I am trying to connect to the windows computer using the shared section of the sidebar, i.e. with this button

Picture 1.png

However when I enter the details here

Picture 2.png

It doesn't connect, just remains as "Guest". Could this be due to the lack of a password on the windows computer so the password field is left blank.

This is really annoying me as I thought it would be very easy to do but alas not.

When I am connected as a "Guest" I can still transfer the files I need to as I have set the shared settings on the windows side accordingly. However I would like to gain root access to the windows machine and do so in a way that is fast(er).

I have tried connecting via "Go - Connect to Server" and it runs at the same speed as it does via the Finder sidebar method.

The connection speed due to limitations of the hardware on the windows side is 100Mbps which should be faster than 1.4 MB/s (11.2Mbps) even with latencies/inefficiencies inherent in the system. Is this really the fastest I can expect with this setup ? As I can transfer the information faster by going between an external USB hard drive.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

2. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

i used to network a couple windows to windows(xp) computers and it required passwords to login as a specific username. This was pre sp1.
    I also remember it being really slow till i upgraded them to gigabit ethernet cards however i also remember other windows(xp) machines on different networks at 100 megabits and they transfered files a lot faster than the 100 megabit nic's i had so it could be the differences in card/driver/on-board/dedicated/hard drive speed/built quality of cable

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

You need to make sure that windows file and printer sharing is turned on in the windows machine, also if your connecting a guest from memory you only get access to the shared folder much like the public folder in OSX

if you share the C drive ( not recommended) you will have access to the entire machine.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I would manually configure the DHCP settings of each. And set the default gateway of each to the ip address you assigned to each.

Mac
    IP Address: 192.168.1.100
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.101

PC
    IP Address: 192.168.1.101
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.100

For sharing entire HD right click on drive in My Computer. Select properties, and sharing tab. Click warning text about sharing a hard drive then click the share this folder on network and apply. With the Mac I would remove any stored passwords for your PC from Keychain and try to connect with one the of PC's account names that has administrator privileges.

Since you are transferring files from the PC to your Mac, and I assume neither is connected to the internet as well. I would disable any and all Firewalls, Anti-Virus and Spyware blockers/scanners during the transfer to help speed things up.

5. xUKHCx thread starter Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Cheers for the suggestions. I will try them out later on when I get some free time and hopefully report back with good news.

They are both connected to the net through wireless at the moment however this is mainly a one off thing as I am trying to migrate my gf to use my iMac and need all her stuff on it so can always discount and mess around with the network settings.