OS X = Windows on security nonsense

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tevion5, May 27, 2013.

1. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

I often find myself reading supposedly non biased articles about Linux Mac and Pc where OSX is said to be just the same in terms of security and viruses as windows, and only get less because of market share.

I am quite certain this is not true because of the good old "OS9 had much smaller market share and far more viruses" argument.

Sure, macs are expensive, non hardware customisable and some other disadvantages, but I wish they would retire the old security market share crap.

This is an extract from one particular article that annoyed me a little. OSX isnt 100% perfect of course like any software, but this is just misleading.

Mac Security Is NOT Better Than Windows 7. Many still live with the myth that Mac OS X doesn't have any security issues while Windows does. That myth ignores the facts. For example, Apple just released 18 security patches (the smallest collection of patches this year) for Mac OS X on August 5th. Many try to argue that not all the fixes are for Mac OS X, but rather for other software that might be included with it. To compare apples-to-apples (pun intended) you have to stack up the software each vendor ships with their products, not selective parts of it. While it is true that Windows is still a much larger security target because of it's market share, it isn't true that the Mac doesn't have plenty of security issues of its own.
    http://m.networkworld.com/community/node/44512#mobify-bookmark

Am I right or is there actual truth to this?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Every OS issues security patches. That doesn't equate to the presence of malware or exploits in the wild. It only means a potential vulnerability was found and patched. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which can be easily avoided by practicing safe computing (see below).

3rd party antivirus apps are not necessary to keep a Mac malware-free, as long as a user practices safe computing, as described in the following link.

Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

3. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

That's what I thought ;)

4. John Kotches macrumors 6502

It's as if the author was unaware of a patch Tuesdays that fixes for 30+ issues. This has occurred multiple times.

Every OS has vulnerabilities, the question is how quickly they are addressed.

5. benwiggy macrumors 68020

There's some other myths right there.

For similar hardware, and allowing for hardware features that don't exist in other products, like MagSafe™, Macs are provable around the same price -- maybe plus $100 or so.
    BTOs are more expensive than buying it yourself, but then so are BTOs from Dell or other supplier.

There's plenty of people who customize their Macs. Granted, some Macs take a significant amount of skill and proficiency to customize, but it's still possible.

Will malware writers try to target Macs? Sure. (They're all owned by techno-illiterate hipsters with more money than sense, right?)
    Will they find vulnerabilities? Sure.
    Does OS X have fundamentally strong security provisions? Yep. The Unix user/permissions framework, plus sandboxing, memory protection, Gatekeeper and a whole lot more.
    I don't really care about the relative merits of OS X's security to another OS: I care about its actual abilities.

6. tevion5 thread starter macrumors 68000

tevion5

When I said macs are expensive I didn't mean they are poor value at all. You get what you pay for ;)

7. laptoplover2 macrumors member

I agree with this post. No OS is safe from any security issues. They should stop advertising that totally that Macs don't have big security issues, especially since the fact that Apple headquarters recently got hacked.

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

How is that relevant?

9. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i don't recall ever seeing advertisements by Apple that macs "don't have big security issues."

In fact, Apple has long gone out of their way to point out that despite it's relative lack of vulnerability to computer viruses, macs are vulnerable to spy, ad and malware via web browsing.

and that's exactly what happened when they got "hacked" - a java vulnerability which has since been patched.

it actually worked out in my favour, because those of us still using snow-leopard got a new version of Java :D

10. munkery, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013

munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Mac OS X is more secure than Windows.