OS X won't automatically join Wi-Fi network after 10.4.9

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TWLreal, Jun 13, 2007.

1. TWLreal macrumors 6502

I used to have 10.4.7 and my MacBook would automatically join Wi-Fi networks I normally have access to.

Example: I turn it on at home, it automatically picks up my wireless Internet and connects on boot. I go to work and it picks up the wireless network at work.

I've updated to 10.4.9 and the computer won't automatically connect anymore.

Any settings I can check other than the one in the attachment?

Attached Files:

2. TWLreal thread starter macrumors 6502

If a moderator sees this, can you please move my thread to the Basics and Help section?

3. 66217 Guest

Sometimes this happens to me for no apparent reason.

I have my setting to join any available network. Select: Join Automatically, instead of preferred networks, and see if this helps.

4. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It was meant to be fixed in 10.4.9, but does this help?

6. TWLreal thread starter macrumors 6502

I got this machine preloaded with whichever version it ships with, which was .6 I believe, and then updated to 10.4.7

I have been using it since the MacBooks came out and only updated to .9 last night.

7. TWLreal thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I just tested waking up my computer and it rejoins my network perfectly. It might have taken one second more than it used to but at this poing, I'm just being anal.

I'll have to test this out tomorrow since I only have one wireless network at home.

The problem is joining known networks I have access to on startup.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Huh? Are you saying it connects to them, then disconnects for some reason, and then won't reconnect?

9. TWLreal thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I'm saying it reconnects to my Wi-Fi network perfectly on wake.

But if the computer is shut down and I start it up, it won't connect to the network automatically.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, the article I linked to refers to the problem occurring after waking or restarting.

11. TWLreal thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay. This is the latest sitrep:

The computer rejoins my Wi-Fi network after waking up from sleep, after a restart and after a startup from a shutdown.

The only moment it didn't join the network was when I got back from home with the computer shut down. I had to reenter my network information.

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

13. TWLreal thread starter macrumors 6502

Two times if I count this morning at work. It wouldn't join the network automatically.

I'll try and see tomorrow if it's doing it again or it was a one time thing since the system got updated.

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well in the screen displaying before you hit Options to get your screenshot, does it say it'll connect automatically or to preferred networks? If it's the latter, then are these networks listed?

15. TWLreal thread starter macrumors 6502

16. TWLreal thread starter macrumors 6502

Just got in at work and it didn't recognize the network there.

I had to enter the information manually.

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are you having trouble with your machine remembering regular passwords? Maybe try running Keychain Firstaid from the Keychain Access app in your Utilities folder. While you're there, do you notice any entries for any of your base stations?

18. TWLreal thread starter macrumors 6502

Christ, this is retarded.

I figured out what the issue is. The computer tries to rejoin the network it last used instead of automatically switching to another one.

I go to work, I join the network there. I come home, it's still trying to find the network from the office. So I have to manually go in and make it rejoin my home network.

Rinse and repeat every day I go to the office and back home.

19. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

If you add work and home networks as preferred ones, it may be able to handle the location change more gracefully.

20. TWLreal thread starter macrumors 6502

They are added to my preferred networks list. They're the only two on it.

The thing is, when I come back from work and check the list, the office network will be the first one. I drag my home network before it and apply the changes and all is well.

The next day at the office, since the home network is still on top of the list, it will try to join it fruitlessly. This is simply retarded. It's lke it doesn't want to try and look for other networks for which I have access to and have the passwords in the Keychain.

It used to work so smoothly under 10.4.7.

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The networks don't have the same SSID name, do they? What happens if you disconnect from the network before sleeping or shutting down your machine and changing locations? Also, are you saying that if you restart your machine but remain in the same location, your machine automatically reconnects as it should? :)

22. TWLreal thread starter macrumors 6502

No, they have different names but one is WPA2 and one is WPA.
    I haven't tried that but it's still not very practical since it used to join another known network automatically.
    Yes.

If I restart or wake the machine, it will rejoin the network automatically. But when I change locations, it doesn't.

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

24. TWLreal thread starter macrumors 6502

There are no AirPort fixes to it, no?

I'm still trying to do damage control over here on 10.4.9. I'm not about to get .10 any time soon. :|

25. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No, but if you install the combo update then it may override any corrupted components of the 10.4.8 and 10.4.9 updates, which did include AirPort changes. :)