OS X Won't Boot Up On MacBook! Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Yaser, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Yaser macrumors newbie

On my MacBook I used the Boot Camp Assitant. I partitioned 20GB for XP. I put in the disc and I chose C/: and it said it had around 130,000 MB. I'm pretty sure that meant megabits. It finished installing and then it restarted. Nothing happend...just the sound and then after a while it went to a black screen and said "No bootable devices found - insert boot disc and press any key"...thats probably what it was. I realized that SP2 wasn't on the disc. Then I even tried pressing and holding OPTIONS and a mouse pointer showed up...nothing else. I booting from the OS X disc and the screen was stuck on the grey apple and the circle. I have no idea what to do. Please help me!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Did you hold down "c'' key with the OS X disc in the drive when you started up the computer? Just give it a while. When booting from the install disc it can take a while to start up.

3. Yaser thread starter macrumors newbie

I did that and but nothing happend. It just went straight to the black screen where it says "No bootable devices - insert boot disc and press any key". What do I do?

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

Did you use bootcamp with an updgrade disc or a full version of Windows?

5. Yaser thread starter macrumors newbie

I used the app called Boot Camp Assistant. I had a burned CD of the retail version of XP but lost the original disc. But it only had SP1 on it and I found out that you need SP2 for it to install...I have a disc of the SP2 installation. It's separate from the XP disc.

6. Yaser thread starter macrumors newbie

I had also made a copy of the OS X disc and lost the original one. I put that in and booted it with the OPTIONS button...it was on the apple and the disc for a while and now it just shows the aurora background and the mouse pointer is on the loading symbol (the color wheel).

7. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

I believe you need a full version of Windows SP2 in order for boot camp assistant to run correctly.

8. Yaser thread starter macrumors newbie

What do I do now? I have the XP disc with SP1 and a disc with SP2 install on it...the SP2 disc doesn't have XP thought.

9. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

You NEED a windows disc with SP2 already on it, like said before. Sorry

10. Yaser thread starter macrumors newbie

And once I have that, how am I supposed to use it? And what's going on with the stuck aurora background

11. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

If you click on the link I gave you, and then look there, everything you need will be there. It should be a fairly simple proccess. It sounds like you might need to reformat the Hard Drive.

12. Yaser thread starter macrumors newbie

What link? Oh and I want to know what happend to the OS X. I just partitioned 20GB from it and after I tried to install windows it disappeared.

13. cybaster macrumors member

Hey,
    Hold down the Shift Key when your computer is booting up.
    This should allow OSX to go into safe-boot,
    When it is going into Safe-boot, it will perform a disk Check (FSCK)
    you can also boot into your OS X installation disk and check your OSX partition manually with Disk Utility.

as everyone else said, for XP you need an SP2 disc to finish bootcamp assistant correctly, but the main thing here is get OSX up and running first, windows can wait...

14. PrinceOfEgypt macrumors member

you partitioned 20 gb for windows, then chose a 130 gb install partition during windows setup? I think it's pretty clear what you did - you overwrote your OSX partition. it's gone, hope you had a backup of it before you started..