OS X won't mount my external drive

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by MisakixMikasa, Mar 13, 2014.

1. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

Accidentally unplugged the external drive, then OS X won't mount my external at all. Disk utility shows my hard drive. but the partition is greyed out. Running first aid, verified the disk showed me some error, but repair failed/

However, booted my Mac Mini to Windows 7, plugged in, Windows immediately recognized my drive and mounted the drive. I am able to open the partition and copied all my files to a separate drive. Then check the disk, Windows did not find any errors.

The drive is exFat formatted to ensure the maximum compatibility between Windows and OS X.

Now this really sucks. I am using OS X as my primary OS and use the external attached to Mac Mini as downloading drive and storage drive since I only have 128GB SSD as my main drive.

Can anyone suggest any way to mount this drive on OS X?

2. SlCKB0Y macrumors 68040

SlCKB0Y

Cleanly unmount the drive in windows and then try again in OS X

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If you have already recovered all the data, try re-formatting the drive, then copy the data back. Disk Utilities vary.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

My suggestion

Since the drive will mount in Windows (but not on the Mac), take the drive to a Windows computer.
    Mount it, and then COPY EVERYTHING FROM THE DRIVE to another storage source.

Take the drive back to the Mac.

Re-initialize it. Copy the data back.

A final suggestion.

I realize this may sound implausible, but if you have Mac-related data that's important to you, and you want to store it on an external drive, DON'T use a "cross-platform" format scheme (i.e., fat32 or anything else like that).

Instead, use HFS+ only.

If you need a "cross-platform" drive, use a DIFFERENT drive (or USB flash drive) for such business, but keep your important Mac stuff on a "Mac drive".

My opinion only, and I realize that the opinons of others will differ.

5. happywafflemonk macrumors newbie

A little late to the party here, but I had a similar thing happen to an ExFat partitioned drive I use across platforms. Sometimes I'm dumb and forget to dismount properly; when I do, disk utility is no help in repairing the drive.

Good news is that the fix is simple if you have a Windows machine handy. I mount the drive on my Win7 box, then eject it properly. Shows right up when I plug it back into my MBP.

Hope this helps.

6. redchoux macrumors newbie

redchoux

Dear happywafflemonk, you are AWESOME. Thank you so much for this! You saved my life!

7. TuJo macrumors newbie

TuJo

That was flawlessly cool and smooth.It worked for me dear many thanx.keep up the good work.