OS X won't start & no room to install & archive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dojames, Aug 25, 2008.

1. dojames macrumors newbie

So this is the problem:

My OS X 10.4.11 is not starting up on my Powermac G5. When I boot up I get a message telling me to reboot my system 'kernal panic: We are hanging here..'

I'm pretty sure I deleted a necessary file.

I am trying to install OS X again using archive and install because I do not want to lose the data I have (my music & more) but the problem is I didn't leave enough room to install OS X, even with just the basic install. I have an external harddrive hooked up and I need to somehow transfer some info to that harddrive to leave the space to install or throw some files in the trash to leave enough room. I would like to know if this is possible. I can't boot up in safe mode.

Your help is really appreciated.

2. BobZune macrumors 6502a

First see if you can use the G5 as a hard drive for another Mac (assuming you have access to one). Hook up the machines using a firewire cable and press (and hold for several seconds) the T key while powering up the G5 Mac and it should boot into the firewire target mode (then boot the other Mac). At that point, you should be able to copy files from it to elsewhere.

The other method is to connect a firewire hard drive to the G5 Mac, put the Install disk into the DVD drive, then boot by holding down C, then install the OS on to the firewire drive. Once installed, you can boot from the firewire drive by pressing and holding down the Option key (for several seconds) while booting the G5 mac and select the version of OS installed on the firewire drive, then go from there.