Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

egg88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Ok, I have a old macbook, late 07 white macbook to be exact.
What the problem was before OS X wouldnt work was that some certain programs would stop working. First it was Macromedia programs like director, then it was games like Warcraft III. What would happen is i would click on the applications and i would hear a rapid clicking noise then it would stop, like something was loading and then suddenly stopped. It would make this noise 3 times and then the whole laptop would lock up for a minute then it would say the application quit suddenly.
At first i thought it was the application so i deleted it and tried to reinstall it, no luck it wouldnt even re install. Other applications would work so it was rather confusing. Then this error would happen when i tried to install the new patch for WoW. So i went to restart my computer to see if that would fix it.
This is where the BIG problem begins.
After i turned off my computer and turned it on again it would only load up to the blue screen, the cursor shows up on the upper left then that loading noise starts, then sometimes the cursor disappears and the screen turns into a different shade of blue then back to the same and the cursor shows up again.
This repeats forever, one time i left it like this for an hour and it was still doing the same thing. So now im stuck on my Windows side which is really confusing. If OS X wont work wouldnt Windows not work too?
Also, i tried safe mode and it wouldnt work. I have my OS X cds here but im concerned if i use them wouldnt i lose my Windows side?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Boot from system restore disk
- repair permissions
- repair disk

Look at the troubleshooting stickies.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
Clicking? Coming out of the speakers or from the computer itself? If it's from the computer, your hard drive is probably failing. Do you have a system backup?

egg88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
Clicking? Coming out of the speakers or from the computer itself? If it's from the computer, your hard drive is probably failing. Do you have a system backup?

i dont really know if its the hard drive clicking, but the noise is what you hear when you click any application on the dock and its loading up. it makes that noise then stops, does it again, stops, does it again, system locks up (color wheel) then <application> has quit unexpectedly

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
There is no clicking noise associated with application launching, unless you've installed a third-party app for the purpose. (Not sure if such a thing exists.)

egg88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
its not really clicking, its just a sound i hear and i use the word "clicking" as the closest noise to associate it
but anyways im planning on just cleaning everything off my mac and starting over, so if i were to do that would that get rid of my Windows partition?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
its not really clicking, its just a sound i hear and i use the word "clicking" as the closest noise to associate it

Can you come up with a more precise description? The "click of death" is the easiest diagnosis of a bad hard drive. Here's the best video I could find of a failed drive, but that's not exactly the sound you'd hear if the drive were in the computer. It would be much quieter and with less reverberation since laptop drives are mounted with rubber shock absorbers and since the cover would be on. In a failing drive, the click may be intermittent and associated only with heavy drive use, which may be what is happening here. Once the drive fails altogether, you may hear it repeatedly attempting and failing to spin up to operational speed.

but anyways im planning on just cleaning everything off my mac and starting over, so if i were to do that would that get rid of my Windows partition?

No. I suggest holding off on the install (or using your computer at all) for the time being. If the hard drive is failing, the drive-intensive process of reinstalling may cause it to fail altogether.

egg88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
No that dosent sound like it, its allot, and i mean allot more rapid and lighter. if i had to pinpoint the location to where the sound is comming from i would say right where the power button is or in that general area, so i guess its coming from the speaker. I booted it up from the install cd and did a disk repair and it sitll didnt solve the problem. and im still able to log on my windows side with no problems, quite a confusing predicament

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
No that dosent sound like it, its allot, and i mean allot more rapid and lighter. if i had to pinpoint the location to where the sound is comming from i would say right where the power button is or in that general area, so i guess its coming from the speaker. I booted it up from the install cd and did a disk repair and it sitll didnt solve the problem. and im still able to log on my windows side with no problems, quite a confusing predicament

did repair disk fail or say the volume appeared to be ok?

webgoat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2007
Austin, TX
disk repair said everything was ok

so if i understand the computer is booting to a blue screen with mouse control, safe boot failed, and repair disk came back as the volume appeared to be ok? that's a strange combination.. have you booted into single user mode and checked the startup log?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.