Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

therapistfinder

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
I just got the new MBP yesterday and while transferring files from a flash drive, OS X told me that I should plug it into a high speed USB (2.0) port in order to decrease transfer time. I tried both ports and got the same message. I went ahead and did the transfer anyway (took about 40 minutes for about 1.5 gb to finish). At first I thought that there might have been some compatibility issues with my flash drive in OS X so I tried another flash drive and got the same result. I then tried both in Windows XP and again, same thing. Is there something wrong with how my software is recognizing the USB ports? Because there is no way in hell that Apple decided to put two 1.0 ports in a MBP...

therapistfinder

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Ok, apparently my computer does not have a Hi-Speed USB host controller which according to several websites is a hardware upgrade?

How is this possible??? Has anyone else had problems with the USB ports in the new MBP?

Coolnat2004

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Could you maybe try a different flash drive? If it does the same thing, I would call Apple. It could very well be a software issue.

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
I just got the new MBP yesterday and while transferring files from a flash drive, OS X told me that I should plug it into a high speed USB (2.0) port in order to decrease transfer time. I tried both ports and got the same message. I went ahead and did the transfer anyway (took about 40 minutes for about 1.5 gb to finish). At first I thought that there might have been some compatibility issues with my flash drive in OS X so I tried another flash drive and got the same result. I then tried both in Windows XP and again, same thing. Is there something wrong with how my software is recognizing the USB ports? Because there is no way in hell that Apple decided to put two 1.0 ports in a MBP...

With Windows, I could see it being a software issue (like not having a High-Speed USB 2.0 Controller in Device Manager, etc.)... not so much with Mac OS X.

I would do what the first replier suggested - try it with another flash drive and if that doesn't resolve the issue, call Apple. There is definitely nothing but USB 2.0 ports in the MBP.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
:apple: > About this Mac > More Info ... > Hardware > USB

When you plug the flash drives in, you should be able to look at the device under the USB section. And the connection speed the OS is seeing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.