Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Does anyone know if there's a way to add Netflix on a first-generation Apple TV?

With the 2nd-generation models going for 200$ on eBay.ca, I had no choice but to sell mine. And Apple.ca doesn't accept PayPal for payments.

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Some may not realize it yet but Yosemite also brings native support for AC-3 5.1 audio.

I am more interested in Dolby digital plus. Ac-3 is ancient. Netflix supports Dolby digital plus.

Also I wish Yosemite will finally support lossless surround audio natively especially for those of is that have backed up our bluray movies into our macs.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
FINALLY! Now would it stream Super HD through iMacs?:confused:

----------

Cool.

Is this going to be the only way to use html5 with Netflix currently? There is no one else doing it? Everything else using Silverlight?

I believe Amazon Prime still uses Silverlight so it is not totally out yet the plug in sadly, I do wish Amazon Prime was available on Apple TV sucks now since they got their own device now it will never happen.

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
Yeah my iMac and the Z906 are connected through an optical cable so I get true 5.1 surround sound. However, the only times I get 5.1 audio is when I play a DVD through DVD Player or a video/tv show from iTunes. DVDs are in standard def as OS X does not support Blu-ray natively and I don't have much iTunes content considering I all ready have a Netflix subscription. So I'm really hoping that this support true 5.1 surround sound so I can really get the most out of the Z906 when playing movies and shows.

If your 540 supports 5.1 audio but through 3.5mm jacks, you can get an external sound card that may give you true surround sound. I remember seeing a video about it on YouTube.

Here is a list of some of the new features in Mavericks and the modern Macs that support them via Apple's Mavericks page:

I'm always a little weary when every Apple says "modern" Mac because it can mean "within the last two or three years" to Apple. Just look at the AirPlay Mirroring and Power Nap requirements above.

The airplay mirroring has to do with a specific feature built into the intel processors. My 2010 mac pro has plenty of power to achieve mirroring but because it isn't one of the core i processors it doesn't have that feature.

I wonder if that will be the case with this html5 video.

my 2007 mbp runs mavericks and is actually really quick ( with new SSD ). it would be huge if this was enabled for my machine because silverlight kills the battery

----------

Does anyone know if there's a way to add Netflix on a first-generation Apple TV?

With the 2nd-generation models going for 200$ on eBay.ca, I had no choice but to sell mine. And Apple.ca doesn't accept PayPal for payments.

buy a refurbished 3rd gen for $80 on apple.com

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I hate it when Apple does that. The mentioning of ‘modern Macs’ must mean something. I would be greatly disappointed if my late 2008 MacBook (expected to support Yosemite) would not have this. I don’t care about the battery life, because the performance of Silverlight itself is downright abysmal. I can play a lot of video games without lagging, but not watch Netflix without some serious lags and screen tears.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
my apple tv has been doing that without silverlight for ages!

now they even copy their own product!!!
Heh. There's a reason it first came to the Apple TV and now, only later on, came to OS X.

The Apple TV can be assumed to not have another software running that will rip the movie to disk. Of course, who knows what can be done if it's jailbroken and some developer with the skills, but these devices are assumed by content producers to not be jailbroken. :p

However, on OS X (or any other desktop OS), the playing field changes. Any sort of software can be downloaded and that's even what to be expected.

So for a desktop OS to support this, they need a form of DRM inside the web browser (= Encrypted Media Extensions). The option is Flash or Silverlight since they can protect the feed to. It's a controversial web standard, but I'll honestly take even HTML5 DRM rather than the above. :( It feels like the slightly lesser evil, since it can at least be optimized by the browser vendor.

So... Well that's why it came after the Apple TV version. It was harder to get done, and the necessary web standards took a long-ish time to get finished as usual with standards.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I hate it when Apple does that. The mentioning of ‘modern Macs’ must mean something. I would be greatly disappointed if my late 2008 MacBook (expected to support Yosemite) would not have this. I don’t care about the battery life, the performance of Silverlight is downright abysmal. I can play video games without lagging, but not watch Netflix without lags and screen tears.

"Modern" likely means the macs with the i3, i5, i7 processors as they were specifically designed by intel to boost streaming performance. It's the same reason my 2009 MBP can't do airplay mirroring to my Apple TV, the hardware simply didn't exist.

I think you and I will also miss out on many of the Continuity features as our computers don't have Bluetooth 4.0 chipsets in them.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Buy a refurbished 3rd gen for $80 on apple.com

I mentioned apple.ca for a reason. I don't know if I can order from the USA website, shipping probably wouldn't be free and I'll get hit with duty fees which will increase the price way beyond the cost of a non-refurb unit.

edit: as soon as I hit the online store, I get redirected to apple.com/ca/ anyway.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Do Yosemite and/or iOS support HEVC/H.265? Netflix uses it for 4K video.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
It's been available on Windows 8.1 and IE11 since the preview release last June according to the Netflix blog, so if anything Apple are a bit behind.

Seems odd Microsoft being the first to ditch their own technology :)

The HTML5 EME specification still needs a plug in DRM module. Microsoft haven't abandoned the DRM module from Silverlight, it's just built into Windows 8.1 natively so a plug-in isn't required in the browser.

Likewise, Apple will be doing something with FairPlay here.

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
Some may not realize it yet but Yosemite also brings native support for AC-3 5.1 audio.

does that mean we can have mkv support in yosemite without perian? As I remember, AC3 was the reason behind no quick look support for mkv files.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007

I wish it would bring native support for AC-3 True Audio, DD Plus and DTS-HD MA (as well as core DTS) too (XBMC natively supports all these with internal conversion to stereo if needed). The lack of DTS support in OSX and iTunes has been a thorn in the side of M4V for a LONG time. Ironically Handbrake + XBMC supports DTS in M4V (which iTunes thankfully at least ignores instead of refusing to use). In short, I want 6.1 and 7.1 sounds support, not just 5.1 (regardless of the lossless nature which I think is overrated since most can't tell the difference anyway).

Mavericks will actually freeze up if you make an M4V with AC3 as the first (instead of the 2nd) audio file until you manually select the Stereo track (unless of course you're using an external connection that handles it). But in AppleTV, this setup gives you a choice between the 5.1 and stereo tracks without having to go to the preference menu to force stereo only if you want that track for some reason and in Gen1 makes AC3 the default track on first play with movies that have 3+ soundtracks so I prefer it set up that way.

We didn't have this problem in Snow Leopard because Perian would handle AC3 for you. It has never gotten an update for newer versions of OSX and no longer works correctly so built-in AC3 is better than nothing.

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
The airplay mirroring has to do with a specific feature built into the intel processors. My 2010 mac pro has plenty of power to achieve mirroring but because it isn't one of the core i processors it doesn't have that feature.

I wonder if that will be the case with this html5 video.

my 2007 mbp runs mavericks and is actually really quick ( with new SSD ). it would be huge if this was enabled for my machine because silverlight kills the battery

I guess the question now is, will there be hardware limitations to HTML5 video in Yosemite/what are the minimum system requirements for HTML5 video and audio?

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014
I'm always a little weary when every Apple says "modern" Mac because it can mean "within the last two or three years" to Apple. Just look at the AirPlay Mirroring and Power Nap requirements above.

weary = tired
wary = cautious or careful

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
Amazon still uses Silverlight. Although I don't know why. If you run the CHROME browser you don't need Silverlight installed however. It uses the native browser FLASH decoder. (which still eats battery)

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Does anyone know if this is the case already?

Got a new MBA, installed Yosemite, went to watch Netflix and it told me to download Silverlight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.