OS X Yosemite so very slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shadowheart, Oct 30, 2014.

1. shadowheart macrumors member

OSX YOSIMITE SO VERY SLOW

IT IS SO GRAPHICALLY SLOW

any solution?

its like slow motion compared to maverick how come?

my mac is
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Do a fresh install - Yosemite is better than Mavericks IMHO - got the same rMBP

3. Harry Muff macrumors regular

4. Flyin Ryan macrumors member

It's snappy for me. Once I upgraded from 4gb ram to 8gb i was smooth sailin on my late 2011 15"

5. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

Should make all the people who have purchased soldered ram feel REAL good.

Suckers.

6. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Eventually you'll be one of those suckers :)

7. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

And that is where I have to make a very tough decision. Hopefully my 2012 cMBP lasts many years to come, so I can ride this ridiculousness out. I've moved on from really playing games, so the biggest issue I would have, minus a hardware failure, is lagging video. But it would be amazingly painful to go from a quad core, 16Gig, SSD MBP, to a matching spec machine for $3k.

8. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Works fine for me. 'course....I opted for a clean install (leftover reflex from using WinDoze)

9. shadowheart thread starter macrumors member

I have a clean install but its not on the full hardisk its on its own partition

after a while strangely enough the OS X yosimite runs much better and faster how this is possible i don't know.

I still would like to know how to enhance it and i hopelessly probably hope that apple makes an update that will enhance speed or something.

10. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Buy an SSD for it.

Problem solved.

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Spotlight indexing

If you have just installed it it may be spotlight indexing that slows them down.

12. Flyin Ryan macrumors member

RAM, Hard Drives/SSD & Batteries should always be replaceable IMO. It can extend the life quite a bit... but I guess that's the problem. Better for them that we have to buy a new machine every 2-3 years instead of 4-6. I ran my 2006 15" MBP until I sold it in 2012 with the only the super drive & battery failing.

13. shadowheart thread starter macrumors member

My biggest problem is this , what do we do with our older machines?

its not easy to sell things and most of the time there is almost no value left when you want to sell the machine.

so what do we do? why isn't there any program for replacement ? or exchange.

14. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

My rMBP came with 8GB, Yosemite runs fine for me :)
    Feeling good

15. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

There is

There is an exchange recycle scheme with apple, it will give you about a third of what you will get on ebay for the same machine.

Actually I have found apple products to have fairly good resale value, certainly better than any other electronics products. Ebay Craigslist etc is swimming in them and they do get fairly decent prices.

But mainly I think you just have to accept that consumer electronics have become comnsumable items with a shelf life and that they need to be replaced on a regular basis. This is not just with apple this is with most of them from TV's to mobile phones... from Samsung to Huwei

16. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

To be honest this just isn't true anymore

The current minimum spec is 4GB for a machine intended for light use this is unlikely to be not enough for light use in 4-5 years time. Software just isn't getting that much more complicated that quickly and a concentration on better coding is lowering RAM use in some cases.
    Mid range all start at 8GB and that will be enough for the forseeable future for most mid range use cases.
    Top range start at 16gb or 8gb and in the case of the imacs the top range are all user replaceable.

HDD's are being replaced with SSD's and these are all user upgradable anyway, there just aren't anybody making them with the current connector used. More importantly the life and reliabilty of SSD's means that it will outlast your computer in the vast majority of cases. Also cloud computing Home networked NAS options and cheap external hard drives make this a moan about nothing that can't be solved in a better way than being able to change your computers hard drive.

CPU's have been non upgradeable on almost all portables for years and the number of the people who would ever bother is negligible and they still are upgradeable on the MAC pro.

To be honest the only current tech that user upgradability on a Mac would be useful due to rapid change and software usage is the GPU and they haven't been user upgradable on any but the Mac Pro for donkeys years.

17. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

It's apple's new green initiative. More machines in the trash. But you saved $.09 per year in electricity per year. And really, isn't that what's really important?

18. shadowheart thread starter macrumors member

i am not familiar with what this green initiative is.

19. Flyin Ryan macrumors member

Yeah their value does hold very well. I paid almost $700 for my 2011 machine a few weeks ago. You'd be hard pressed to get $70 for 2011 windows machine.

20. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

That would be sarcasm. Or rather he is being sarcastic.

21. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

22. Count Blah macrumors 68040

Count Blah

23. shadowheart thread starter macrumors member

its not that i have low memory free most of the time i am 9 10 but its the whole os seems to be lagging or choppy.

i putt applications in the dock and it opens as if it was fastened on glue.

the dock doesn't flow right also the finder folders and content pops up slightly later then the click.. besides some folders.