Os X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nefan65, Nov 3, 2009.

1. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Okay, I just read a couple of articles on Infoworld, and another site about OS X being "Aged". Specifically things like the Dock, Finder, etc. I don't really agree/disagree, but would like to hear how others feel.

When I look at the other OS's out there, I fail to see how it's aged when compared to various Linux Distro's, and of course Windows. I've been using Win 7 for a few months, and I don't see HOW it's even close, but again, I'd like to hear what others think.

Thanks in advance!

2. RKO macrumors 6502

RKO

Nothing wrong the dock or finder. As for being "aged" well that's because it just works and doesn't need to be changed.

3. Mew2468 macrumors regular

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Why change something which is already perfect? Dock is awesome and MS have copied it to Windows during the years and they call it, is it task bar?

5. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

in computing, there is nothing more aged than a keyboard, but lets see any computing companies try to permanantly take that away from us aye ;)

6. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Terminal is timeless. All you really need is a shell and everyone should be fine!

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The Dock is awesome, however it's not what I would call "Perfect". If Apple could do anything to change the Dock for me it would be great if the Dock filled the whole bottom of the screen regardless what size it was. My browser windows and other windows just hang off the Dock. It would look so much more uniform if it filled the whole bottom of the screen left to right regardless how many apps are in it or what size it is.
    Other than that the Mac OS X UI is much better than Windows Vista. I just say Vista, cause W7 doesn't look any different.

8. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

In my opinion, a multi-touch tablet would be a great new input device. Kind of mega-evolving the keyboard, but what if we started to phase out the mouse with a large touchpad that was a keyboard too? The lack of tactivle feedback might be hard to get used to, but isn't such a bad idea is it?

9. nefan65 thread starter macrumors 65816

nefan65

Thanks everyone. I agree. I love the Dock, and the other pieces of OS X. I don't think it's aged. I just read the articles, and wondered what others felt/thought, that's all.

I also agree that Win 7 [Vista] is nothing great.

10. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Personally, i think that theoretically, that sort of thing sounds great. A movement in that kind of direction would be a good step. Though people are afraid of change, and the keyboard has been with us since the dawn of computers. Its too much of a ballsy step forward for any company to try and enforce. Even if the said product was far superior, people would complain and moan like hell about the lack of the their familiar physical keyboard that their hands have adapted to over the several years.
    Look at the iPhone for example, there are still people moaning about how it doesn't have a physical keypad/keyboard :rolleyes:

11. admo macrumors member

Take a look back at punch cards. Now that must have been a nightmare for computer input!

12. pdjudd macrumors 601

Naaah... Far too elaborate. All we really need is beads on rails...

13. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

Personally, i think the iPhone is a worthless piece of crap and i am not going to get one until apple wake up and smell the roses and bring out an iphone with a punch card input reader. :D

14. fishmoose macrumors 68000

I like the dock but I need some more Finder features, specifaclly tabs. But I'm sure we will get that now when the Finder has been rewritten to 64-bit Glory and they have got rid of it's Carbon code.

Wouldn't call it aged though, but I need a definition of aged to make that judgment.

15. nefan65 thread starter macrumors 65816

nefan65

Your last statement is what I took issue with in the articles. They said "aged", but didn't say why they thought it was aged. I think many of these writers for the various industry "rags" states aged when the look/feel stay consistent from release to release. They think Windows 7 "Dock" is new and fresh, yet it's nothing different from the OS X Dock, other than looks.

16. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Exactly if you define aged that it has looked the same then OS X is as old as it get's with GUI's going back the the Xerox days. If they define it that way then I'm not sure it's bad that it's "aged" aged means more people recognize the OS and they are comfortable using it! Is that a bad thing? I don't think so.

17. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Read this. These were the issues with the dock, that 8 years later, Apple still has not fixed.

Also. Google for FTFF. The finder is a pile of steaming... stuff. Why can't I, in 2009, cut and paste, or pull out a USB drive without ejecting it first? The finder works fine, as long as you're not a power user. If you are, it tends to fail on you, big time.