OS10 Optimization

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ldneil, Jun 16, 2007.

1. ldneil macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

Ive been a Mac user for many months now but wouldnt call myself an expert. I primarily use it for running Logic Pro to create and record music. I am just about to get a new MBP and was wondering if you folks have any tips for installing or configuring OS10 in the most optimal way, resulting in the best possible performance of the system from the Operating System's point of view.

I've been searching aroud but can only find the following links which go someway to providing a few tips:

http://guides.macrumors.com/Enhancing_Performance_Of_Mac_OS_X
    http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread54207.html

Would you say it would be better to reinstall the OS when I receive the MBP and then only select the applications that I will require or just use the factory install that will come with the system?

I come from the Windows world and I know with XP there were a million and one things that you could disable to increase the system performance (e.g. services) as they were not essential to the basic runing of the OS - anything similar in OS10?

Any tips or links would be greatly appreciated here!

many thanks,

_neil_

:)

2. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

You can disable spotlight as well. You can disable both dashboard and Spotlight with a program called "DisableTigerFeatures". Also, you can get rid of drop shadows which eat up your CPU cycles with a program called shadowkiller. Also, using shapeshifter to change the os x theme to something without transparencies will help speed a little bit too, and ALSO, you can go into dock preferences and uncheck animate opening applications, and disable magnification and have the dock as always shown. eliminating unused desktop icons helps, and decreasing the size of the icons helps (to 32x32) as your computer doesnt have to be constantly refreshing large icons.

After using a G3 for the past ever, i've found many, MANY ways to speed up os x :p

3. Blubbert macrumors 6502

If youre planning to get a MBP, there honestly is no need to make OSX faster, as it will already run blazing fast as is. I have an older Core Duo MPB with 2GB of memory, and OSX is absurdly fast, even though i have all the services and things turned on that ldneil reccomends turning off.

4. 66217 Guest

I second Blubbert advice, there is no need to disable Spotlight or Dashboard in a new MBP.:)