OS3 Users: Swim workout on original watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Arran, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Quick question for anyone running watchOS3 beta: Is the swimming workout available on the "Series 0" (first gen) of the watch?

Or does the OS detect the old (non-swimproof) hardware and hide the option?

2. teidon macrumors 6502

teidon

3. Arran thread starter macrumors 68040

Arran

Thanks teidon!

Ugh Apple!!!!:mad:

4. lionsy macrumors 6502

Even though people are already using their Apple watches for swimming, it was always going to be an exclusive to the series 2 because it being (advertised as) water resistant is one of its selling points - surely you're used to this by now, even if the previous model supports it, it isn't available! :p

I've pre ordered the series 2 but I'd still take neither my original watch or the new one swimming with me, something about taking electronics under water doesn't feel right!

5. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

It wouldn't make any sense for them to offer swim workouts on the original watch given that it is not rated for, or advertised for, swim use. It is poor sense to offer a function that could potentially damage the product.

6. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

.. and extremely risky for lawsuits when watches are damaged.

7. Arran thread starter macrumors 68040

Arran

I've been using a catalyst (waterproof) case all summer. It's worked really well other than it's a little fiddly to put on and take off my 42mm SS. So was thinking of just buying one of the 42mm Sports that Best Buy has on clearance ($220) and putting the case on that permanently. That would then become my dedicated swim watch. OS3 swim workout functions would've been perfect.

That was my plan. Back to the drawing board.