Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jayenh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
ok, first of all don't me wrong, i've been liking OS4 on my 3GS. app switching is great, even when they cant really multitask yet, and folders have their uses. but i have a small pet hate, and i wonder if anyone else shares it. folders stay open when you close an app that is within one. so you have to tap the home button a second time or tap the screen to "minimize" the folder. anyone else find that a little frustrating? more often than not i dont want to open another app within that folder, so would rather that i have the click the folder again on the odd occasion i want to open something else. i mean, after all, if i wanted to switch apps i'd use the app switcher, right?

i'm guessing there is no option for this since apple gives us very little customisation when it comes to this kind of thing?

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
I've been using folders on iOS4 for a couple of months and this hasn't annoyed me at all. Most of my apps are grouped by category (i.e. News), so I'll usually want to open a number of apps consecutively. Reckon I'd be more annoyed if the folder closed after each app opened!

Maybe an option to make it work either way would be best...

revs

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
UK
Instead of clicking home a second time, what you can do is either:

tap outside the folder, and it then goes away
swipe to another screen, and it goes away

AlsoKnownAs

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2010
I think they should have made it so that it either goes back to the folder or to the home screen based on how long you we're in the application. So if you open an app and close it seconds later it brings you back to the folder, but if you use it for a longer time it closes to the homescreen.
Just seems right for me.

zacheryjensen

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
This behavior follows an extremely important core UI tenet which is to keep things predictable. That the designers decided to keep the springboard in the exact state you left it is their approach to predictability. This is already how it works (it doesn't switch screens on you when you open an app) so it is no surprise that they continue the trend.

Of course, not everyone is going to agree. Not everyone appreciates good human interface design. Can't please everyone every time.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
This behavior follows an extremely important core UI tenet which is to keep things predictable. That the designers decided to keep the springboard in the exact state you left it is their approach to predictability. This is already how it works (it doesn't switch screens on you when you open an app) so it is no surprise that they continue the trend.

I agree with this. However, I've just noticed that if you open an app from a search, quitting the app returns to the main page, not search results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.