Os4 on 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Katilea, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Katilea macrumors member

Hi

I'm thinking of getting a used 3GS rather than the iphone4. Does that have reception problems too?

I seen one that already has OS4 on it, does that mean I will be able to use Bluetooth keyboard with it same as iPhone4?

If I got one without update OS on how would I do that myself? Can I just transfer my regular PAYG SIM into these phones or does it need a special one like the iPhone4?

Lastly what are main things that iPhone4 has that 3GS doesn't have and would the Os4 run on an older 2G or 3G if I could get them cheaper?

Thanks

Kati

Thanks

2. shandyman Suspended

my iphone 4 doesn't have reception issues, there are some that did obviously, but mine and my friends do not have that issue. the 3GS never had the problem with the antenna.

if you get a 3GS, you just bung your sim in, if it doesn't have iOS4 on it and you want it, just update via iTunes.

iOS4 isn't available for the 2G, and it runs slow on 3G. 3G won't do multitasking, so not much point having a 3G with iOS4. the 3GS will do multitasking, it won't do facetime, it doesn't have a gyroscope or front facing camera, doesn't have a flash, doesn't have the retina display, there is more, but thats off top of my head.

Edit: here's a side by side for iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

3. Katilea thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, sorry its taken so long to get back had log in problems on about my third password so far.. lol! :rolleyes:

I read that iPhone4 would allow bluetooth keyboards and seen some people on youtube using them with them. If the 3GS has the OS4 on it though, I can still use a keyboard like freedom pro with it?

I like the facetime it be good for me to be able to lipread other person but problem is it only does this if other person has one too? my family and friends aren't the type who'd spend £500 on a phone either so I still wouldn't be able to use that feature!

I think a 8GB 3GS would do me for what I'd use it for. Even on ebay they seem to be nearly £400 though :eek:

Any one know where could get a used 3GS for under £300? I thought there was a place that did reconditioned Macs etc but can't remember what it was called.

Thanks

4. shandyman Suspended

Facetime is iPhone 4 only at the mo, son to also be iPod touch, poss iPad from the next iteration, I think we might see some other apps like Skype start taking advantage of the front facing camera down the line, since fringe has shown it to be possible, so possibly skyping or even video chat with yahoo/msn, etc down the line

as for the keyboard, it will work on 3gs and 4 according to this site - http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=190933