OS4 Slowed My iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Resist, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

I couldn't be anymore pissed about what upgrading my iPhone 3G to OS4 has done to the speed of my phone. Many of the apps have not be optimized for OS4, so they don't work correctly or don't work at all. I am shocked at how many app developers still have not fixed their apps so they work right with OS4. Even though they knew about the OS4 release, months in advance.

Recently OS4 has gotten very sluggish, even with the native apps. It has gotten so bad that using my iPhone is getting to be a pain. I want my previous OS back!

Seems like Apple screwed us over with this one, knowing we can't go back and our only other option would be to buy the iPhone 4.

2. baller1308 macrumors 65816

Did you restore from backup or do a clean install? I did a clean install and mine is running just fine, if not better than before with 3.1.3.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

OS 3.1.2 was already pretty slow as is, so it was pretty expected that iOS 4 would run badly on the 3G. Sorry to tell you, but the 3G is pretty old now (I say this because I too currently own and used a 3G)

4. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

Same here, clean install of iOS4 and is running better than before

5. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

I never saw an option to do a clean install. I clicked yes to upgrade to OS4 and it did the rest. But I do remember it doing a restore. How would I do a clean install and if I did, would I be able to get everything back?

6. Jinkst macrumors 6502

I believe what they meant was getting rid of everything and starting from scratch without a backup. So you could still restore from a backup later if you wanted, but the clean install would be getting rid of everything and setting up as a new phone.

As for mine it's actually running faster than when on 3.1.2. I've jailbroken and enabled multitasking, home screen walls etc and surprisingly it's working great. I thought I'd throw it against the wall before iPhone 4 reached Australian shores but it's been great.

7. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

How do you do that?

8. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Just do a "Restore", let it install 4.0 again and then don't let it restore the backup. (Set up as a new iPhone)

9. iFerd macrumors 6502a

That's what I did and I'm quite pleased now. It also made me clean house when I put apps back. If I couldn't remember why I had an app or remember the last time I used it, I didn't put it back. That was a good thing. I don't need folders after all.