iPhone OS6 signal problem after battery removal

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Leeds repairer, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Leeds repairer macrumors newbie

I have repaired 7 iPhone 4 & 4S's today. All required the battery to be removed and then replaced after the repair. 3 of the phones powered up as normal and the network signal displayed as normal, they all tested ok for text and calls. The other 4 phones powered up but showed 'searching' in the network signal display. All the phones that showed no signal were on OS6, all the phones that picked signal up were on OS5. Before OS6 was introduced I never had this problem. It wasn’t a problem with the aerial or aerial connector as these were checked plus one of the repairs was a simple battery replacement.
    I tried resetting the 'network settings' and the 'factory settings' and resetting using the power and home buttons, this made no difference. After several hours 2 of the phones picked up signal and within 15 seconds had full signal.
    I noticed the following which may or may not be relevant.
    3 of the phones would accept texts but not calls. When the phone was dialled up the phone that was calling could hear the ring tone when you would expect voicemail but the dialled phone didn’t display anything and didn’t ring. If you tried to call a number from the phone it would not connect and when you tried to end the call the screen displayed ' call ending' until the phone was turned off (during this period all the other functions of the phone worked).
    I am sure other people and repairers must have had the same problem as it has happened to all the OS6 phones I have repaired over the last few days, the only exception was a jailbroken phone running OS6
    Can anyone explain what is happening or how to get around the issue so that the phone shows proper signal in a reasonable time ?

2. Leeds repairer thread starter macrumors newbie

Update - Apple's reply

When I submitted this post it was an accurate, factual description of a problem I had with OS6.
    I also tried to post it on Apple Support Communities and was sent the following email

'Apple removed your post titled, "OS6 signal problem after battery removal," because it contained the following:

Off-topic or non-technical posts
    Non-constructive rants or complaints'

Why?

3. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I have no clue on what the issue with the phones is, but Apple removed your post because you mention battery removal. That's something that (technically) only they can do without voiding the warranty and they don't want to allow help to hose who do so on their own.

4. Leeds repairer thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the explanation - unfortunately I cant word it in any other way

Sometimes it wonder if Apple honestly believe that they still own all the iPhones in the world. :rolleyes:

5. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

6. AmBull macrumors newbie

I think I have the exact same problem!.
    Anyone has a fix for this issue?

7. gdlouk macrumors newbie

gdlouk

I am also having this problem. 4s ios6

I replaced the screen and used the old battery and everything works fine.

I then got the battery replacement in and replaced the battery not breaking anything.

the phone has trouble turning on, i have to hold the home key during boot to keep it from turning on and off.

Once it does turn on it searches for signal with no avail..

If i put the old battery in it works fine. Except for that battery wont hold a charge for more than 3 hours..

Also the battery says it has 100% but as soon as i remove the charger it cuts off..