OS9.1 boot problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sniken, Dec 11, 2008.

1. sniken macrumors newbie

I have an old PowerPC based Mac which i try to get OS9.1 to boot. Booting off the CD and installing the OS went fine except for the first boot after installation. It get stuck on the OS9.1 boot logo. If I press and hold down the SHIFT key during boot to turn extensions off it boots OK.
    Does the SHIFT key do more than just stop the extensions from loading? I tried to move the contents of the extensions folder to somewhere else so that I could try figuring out which one is giving me problems, but I didn't get any closer.
    Any suggestions?

2. iGrant macrumors 6502a

As far as I can remember all holding down shift does is turn off extensions, I don't think it does anything else. You might want to try a re-install if you haven't done anything else on it.

You are also going to have a difficult time getting help. OS 9 have been out of date . . . well for quite some while. I am sure there a few in the forums that remember, but I certainly have forgotten all my old OS 9 tricks.

-iGrant

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Extension and control panel conflicts, even some things as simple as fonts migrating into the extension and control panel folders (happens when the OS places them in the wrong folder.)

Going to also have to look at the control panels, and other folders to make sure everything seems to be in the right folder.

4. aarchitect macrumors member

You might look here: http://www.apple.com/support/macos9/

You can also tell it to install just the OS with minimal extensions and control panels. Try this as a reinstall.

You might want to try with 9.2 as that has some major bug fixes. The Wikipedia page has links if you don't find it on the Apple support site.

5. sniken thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try another minimal install. I am not sure which files belongs where so I might have problems finding files that are not in their correct folder.

I don't have 9.2, only the update from 9.1. I could try to install it in safe mode.

Edit:
    After reading more on the issue at the link you provided I'm going to try out some suggestions tomorrow. Thanks!