OS9 creating a classic environment question?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by speakerwizard, May 7, 2007.

1. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

Hi guys, now im an experience mac use but went straight from os9 to X and never really used classic mode, however i now need to put classic on my folks powerbook for my mum to play some old style games, the powerbook has had classic on at one point and i trashed it so the system prefs are there, now how should i go about this in a non destractive manner, i have os9 on a disk image, any good tips / instructions? thanks

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

So you still have the install discs that came with the PowerBook? Everything you need will be on there, in the form you need it.

3. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

No, i dont have the install disks, got the powerbook second hand, all i have is an os9 disk image

4. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

i found quite a good tutorial / article about it but i dont think ill bother, looks a bit involved and i really cant be bothered to clone the HD in case of trouble lol, not sure i have the time

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

This depends on the age of the PowerBook and the current hard drive setup. If you have not done anything "innovative" to the computer, then you should be able to copy the MacOS 9 installation from the disk image to the root level of your hard drive and use the Classic preferences pane to select the MacOS 9 System Folder.

6. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

hhmm, it says in the classic system prefs help that if you do not have the original disks to just boot from OS9 install disk and install (not replacing osx) but it does say 9.1 and higher, i only have os9 but i have the upgrades seperate? hhmmmmm

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Now that there can be a problem, depending on the age of the PowerBook. Even putting the minimum OS 9 release stuff aside, during 2003, Apple stopped shipping hardware that could boot into OS 9, taking the capability out of the firmware even if the hardware would otherwise be okay with it.

8. speakerwizard thread starter macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

bugger, it is a 1.33 12", anyway to combine the updates on an installer disk?

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Copy an installation of MacOS 9.2.2 from another computer.