OS9 rewind

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DamoRed, Oct 31, 2009.

1. DamoRed macrumors member

Hi all,

Sorry for dragging things back to the darker ages, but I've got a situation I'd like some pointers on, please.

Basically I've reloaded OS9 on my G3 400 iMac, with the intention of bringing it back up to 10.3 after a 7 pass HD clean. Last night I downloaded the firmware upgrade on my current iMac and transferred it via USB flash pen, but it's unable to read it, presumably as it was written with an Intel OS and it appears with a PC icon.

I don't know if downloading it via the original iMac would make any difference. However, as it can only has dialup internet access, that's out of the question with my broadband connection.

Can anyone please suggest any workarounds?

While I'm at it, I may a well ask, what is the fastest way to get to 10.3 Panther? I've seen another site, but can't locate it again, where it said 9.1 would have to be installed before then installing 10.2 Jaguar. Is this correct?

Thank you

Damo
    I

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Move all of the data off the drive and format it to Mac OS Extended in Disk Utility. Then you'll be able to read it on the G3.

The other site is wrong. Install the firmware update, insert the Panther disk, format the hard drive, and install Panther. No need to upgrade.

3. DamoRed thread starter macrumors member

Thank you very much, BlueRevolution!

I did as advised in Disk Utility, and then put it back in the old iMac, where it suggested I format it there, which I did. Then had to go back and load the firmaware updater files again, and it read them this time. However, the firmware update was not needed, as it was already at 4.1.9. I thought the erasing of the HD would have erased that too, but obviously not.

I inserted the Panther disc, but an alert popped up, with the accompanying voice..."It's not my fault... Startup Disk was not able to select Mac OSX at the startup Disk (-2)" How funny it was hearing that again. So I then left the install disc in and restarted from the that while holding down C.

All is well in the World, and my dear old beloved iMac will have a new lease of life in a primary school, alongside my eMac too. It means two more children can now have their own unit without having to share their time.

Thanks again.

Damo