Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RossH51

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2016
First post with odd issue. I have a late 2009 iMac (16GB RAM, 2TB HD, DVD Drive) with OSX 10.11.3 which is running perfectly. I have tried to update to 10.11.4 unsuccessfully with the update stopping about 65% through the update (after downloading OK). Repeated reboots gave same issue. At this point I used Time Machine to restore to 10.11.3 successfully(after 12 hrs!)

After looking here and Apple forums and not seeing update issues I have tried the following:
  1. Run the Firmware and OSX Updates separately from the Update Library folder. Firmware updated fine but when I ran the Update it seemed to complete but at reboot the system gets to Login and then stalls after entering password. Tried repeatedly and same result.
  2. Found if I Login as a Guest, system start completes OK suggesting something incompatible but I cannot access my Startup preferences or folder from Guest
  3. Disconnected everything except keyboard and attempted Login. Stalled
  4. Used Recovery to do OSX reinstall via net ie OSX 10.11.4 after also running Disk diagnostics which were ok. Completed and system still stalls at Login. I noted that Recovery HD on iMac is now 10.11.4. Fortunately, I have a backup of older Recovery HD on external disk.
  5. Currently doing another Time Machine Restore to get back to 10.11.3
Looking for suggestions to resolve this. Otherwise I likely won't be able to do future updates until a major one and maybe not then.

Thanks

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Can you get a successful login when you boot into safe boot mode?
(Restart, holding Shift. You can release Shift after you see the boot progress bar. Your Mac will continue to boot into Safe mode.)
Safe boot bypasses most startup software, which might be your issue if you can boot in Safe mode.
I would suggest that you still have a problem with your 10.11.3 system.

There's two things you can try at this point, I think.
Download and install the COMBO 10.11.4 update while you are booted to Safe mode. That sometimes will be a successful install when update from a normal boot doesn't appear to work.

Or, try the full install of 10.11.4.
Don't use the recovery system to do that install this time.
Use an external boot device, such as a USB flash drive, with the full bootable 10.11.4 installer on that drive.

RossH51

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2016
Thanks for reply. I should have mentioned that I have also tried safe mode and cannot login.
I would have thought the unsuccessful system reinstall in Recovery would have done a complete reinstall from web?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Thanks for reply. I should have mentioned that I have also tried safe mode and cannot login.
I would have thought the unsuccessful system reinstall in Recovery would have done a complete reinstall from web?
Yes, but now you have an install that won't complete for some reason. The "complete reinstall from the web" is not necessary if you have the full download already in the form of the downloaded OS X installer app (from the App Store)

Some random thoughts:
How full is your 2TB hard drive? Nearly full? Or, lots of free space left?
You have a full Time Machine backup.
You have also had a couple of failed installs/updates.
I would suggest that you erase your 2TB internal hard drive, then a clean install of OS X.
That's where the USB flash installer will be great, as you don't need to connect to your internet connection to do the full install, and you would already have the update installed (the current full install is up to date with 10.11.4!)
And, then you restore to that fresh OS X install from your Time Machine backup.

ShikariMR

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2015
Having achieved near perfect start up and rapid functions with mouse, I find that since OSX10.11.4 arrived this week, my start up this morning ran over ten minutes before any usable screens appeared. Long period with frozen home page and calendar set on 17 July or whatever. No Safari, no favourites. I am nervous about trying any remedial action and just hope the Apple Staffer with the pebble glasses is reading posts??? iMac 20 inch early 2008 which normally eats out of my hand and wags her tail.. well. sort of.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Having achieved near perfect start up and rapid functions with mouse, I find that since OSX10.11.4 arrived this week, my start up this morning ran over ten minutes before any usable screens appeared. Long period with frozen home page and calendar set on 17 July or whatever. No Safari, no favourites. I am nervous about trying any remedial action and just hope the Apple Staffer with the pebble glasses is reading posts??? iMac 20 inch early 2008 which normally eats out of my hand and wags her tail.. well. sort of.
try a PRAM reset. Hold the keys until you hear the boot chime 2 times, then let it start normally.
Then, open your System Preferences/Startup Disk, and set your boot drive as the default. You will need to click the padlock to unlock that pane, then click on your hard drive to select it. Restart your Mac then.

That may help with your boot times. In my experience, booting from a spinning hard drive with El Capitan is naturally slow, but the 10.11.4 update seems to have helped that. On a 2012 mini, boot times went from something like 2 minutes, to less than one minute. I'm happy with that improvement. YMMV.

ShikariMR

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2015
Grateful thanks to DeltaMac. As I may just have hinted ever so slightly previously it takes a spell struggling with Windows 10 to really appreciate a return to an iMac.

It often seems that processes are quietly going on out of sight, and the problems rectify overnight on this cmputer.
Perhaps little old lady iMacs just need their beauty slep. Time mchine seems to have taken it all in its stride.

When I first got El Capitan, it needed a re-instal but then one thing after another speeded up to the point that 'click ons' especially Safari activated immediately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.