Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2010
Dundee, Scotland
Just updated my system and found that connection to My Cloud WD NAS appeared OK till tried to display directories and found it really really slow. It also seemed to change permissions so that I could no longer write files to the drive without getting the error that the "file is corrupt" (which it wasn't). Please be aware of this issue. Don't know if its a general thing or just with WD devices.

Graham

gogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2010
Dundee, Scotland
Thanks for letting me know. It must be something indirect then. I take it yours is the same model My Cloud?

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Thanks for letting me know. It must be something indirect then. I take it yours is the same model My Cloud?
While i am not using the same model NAS I am also not having any problem with my NAS after the update. I am not even sure that the model should matter since they all use the same protocol between the NAS and the Apple device.

gogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2010
Dundee, Scotland
While i am not using the same model NAS I am also not having any problem with my NAS after the update. I am not even sure that the model should matter since they all use the same protocol between the NAS and the Apple device.

Perhaps it could be a firmware issue. mine is set for auto update.

andychen27

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2016
Just updated my system and found that connection to My Cloud WD NAS appeared OK till tried to display directories and found it really really slow. It also seemed to change permissions so that I could no longer write files to the drive without getting the error that the "file is corrupt" (which it wasn't). Please be aware of this issue. Don't know if its a general thing or just with WD devices.

Graham
Mine had the exact same problem, so did some other guy in wd forum:
https://community.wd.com/t/updated-to-osx-10-11-5-my-cloud-unusable-in-finder/164186

try connect using command + k with cifs:// or afp://, it works for me but the transfer speed are much much slower. Using Guest as login also helps a little bit.

gogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2010
Dundee, Scotland
Mine had the exact same problem, so did some other guy in wd forum:
https://community.wd.com/t/updated-to-osx-10-11-5-my-cloud-unusable-in-finder/164186

try connect using command + k with cifs:// or afp://, it works for me but the transfer speed are much much slower. Using Guest as login also helps a little bit.
Thanks, just waiting for a fix from someone as I rolled back to 10.11.4 to get everything back to normal. So your solution might be fine, just can't try now. Interesting about the WD community, cheers for the link, looks like a general problem with the WD My Cloud device.

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
Thanks, just waiting for a fix from someone as I rolled back to 10.11.4 to get everything back to normal. So your solution might be fine, just can't try now. Interesting about the WD community, cheers for the link, looks like a general problem with the WD My Cloud device.
How did you accomplish this? I'm having the same issues with 10.11.5 and my Synology NAS. Transfer speeds are abysmal. I would like to roll back but I would rather avoid having to wipe my SSD and reinstall from a TM backup, if at all possible.

gogg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 11, 2010
Dundee, Scotland
How did you accomplish this? I'm having the same issues with 10.11.5 and my Synology NAS. Transfer speeds are abysmal. I would like to roll back but I would rather avoid having to wipe my SSD and reinstall from a TM backup, if at all possible.
[doublepost=1467376076][/doublepost]I was using smb to communicate with NAS but when OS was upped to 11.5 it stopped working and took ages to tell you that. I switch to using Afp for communications and it was back to normal.

The roll back was from a Carbon Copy clone I took prior to upgrade which made the process simple to replace my OS on my SSD. Might be a bit late if you don't already have a clone. Best of luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.