Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joecool99

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 20, 2008
USA
did a lot of clean installs on newer machines, but not sure about 10.4.11
Specifically the user needs to save old apple mail content - if i copy the folder from ~/Library - would 10.7 update it ?
- What about Safari bookmarks ?
- old iphoto library, will that get recognized, updated by latest '11 ?

rest is easy, just files to copy, then wipe/install.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
did a lot of clean installs on newer machines, but not sure about 10.4.11
Specifically the user needs to save old apple mail content - if i copy the folder from ~/Library - would 10.7 update it ?
- What about Safari bookmarks ?
- old iphoto library, will that get recognized, updated by latest '11 ?

rest is easy, just files to copy, then wipe/install.

I ran into a problem going from 10.6 to 10.7 on my wife's machine. Mail.app crapped out and didn't recognize anything in ~/Library. I wound up wiping it all, re-setting up all email accounts and letting it all download again. Not a big deal if you're using IMAP. If your only copy of older mail is on your Mac, I suggest you export/back that email up before you upgrade the OS.

As for Safari bookmarks, I suggest you back those up as well.

iPhoto Library is a bit of a mine field. I prefer to keep original photos on an external HDD and only store metadata in iPhoto Library. I decided this after my iPhoto Library got to 67 gig and just plain died. I was even more sure when a recent version of iPhoto came out and was damaging users' iPhoto Libraries during the upgrade process. I now manage over 200 Gigs of photos with faces, events and places in an iPhoto Library that is only 11 Gig. I suggest you export everything so you have originals in a safe place. Yes you can open iPhoto Library using "show package contents" and find original images inside but again I prefer that my originals never make it in there in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.