OSX 10.5.2 Leopard network problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by solutionize, May 19, 2008.

1. solutionize macrumors newbie

I am running Mac OS X 10.5.2 (Leopard) and I am experiencing serious problems when opening files stored on our network. For example: If I randomly try to copy a file from my desktop onto the server (to overwrite an existing file of the same name) I get an error message saying I don’t have sufficient privileges and the copy cannot be completed – the file stored on the server is then erased completely. This is obviously a very serious problem - random data loss when opening/copying files across the network is almost an unworkable situation and I am losing files all over the place.

Could this be a communication issue between Windows Server and my Mac OS?

I understand from doing some research that my version of Mac OS X (10.5.2) includes fixes that are supposed to address this and related bugs (eg. binding reliably to Active Directories on Windows servers) that were present in 10.5.0 but clearly that is not the case.

:)

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

How are you connecting to your Windows Server shares?

Using afp or smb?

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Also are these NFS mounts? Did you correctly configure your Windows servers in the Directory Utility application (/Applications/Utilities/Directory Utility)?

Are the Windows servers formatted as FAT32 or NTFS? Macs can read/write FAT32 (but you have file size limitations), but can only read (unless you use some 3rd party s/w) NTFS.

4. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

And to that same extent how are you authenticating with your server.

Your user account for windows server may not have proper read write permissions. this could be an issue with Group Policy.
    [edit]

The next time you connect you may want to click the "connect as" button and re enter the proper user account information

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Actually, when it comes to file sharing, file system access is managed by the file sharing protocol. Therefore, it does not matter what file system the server has - both SMB and AFP abstract out this little detail for you.

6. solutionize thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for getting back to me on this issue.

The windows servers are formatted as NTFS.
    How do I correctly configure the windows servers in the Directory Utility Application?

These are the services that are showing on my Directory Utility Application:

I'm connecting to the network shares using AFP and SMB (these are both checked on file sharing config)

Attached Files:

7. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Go into each tab and click whatever options buttons there are. This should give you a clue as to what needs to be configured. If you don't know what to put in there, contact your Network administrator for guidance. Also use the Help Menu. i can't give you any more advice than that as I never needed this before.

8. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Yes, it probably is a communication issue.

If your server is running Windows 2003 it's probably got SMB packet signing enabled. Unfortunately you'll have to get your server admin to disable it or Leopard just won't work properly when transferring files. Another one of the 300+ Leopard features that Apple, er, didn't actually deliver :rolleyes:

9. solutionize thread starter macrumors newbie

system preferences screenshot

Hi I was comparing the system preferences between the

- MAC 10.3 Panther Version which works fine with the network

and

- MAC 10.5.2 Leopard Version; the one that has trouble working correctly

I have uploaded the screenshots, hopefully this can help find the trouble.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

::brick:

10. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

I think you're getting confused. If you're connecting to a Windows server from OS X then these file sharing settings have nothing to do with it.

Do you know what version of Windows server you're trying to work with?
    Without more info I can't really help.

Suffice to say I've been less than impressed with Leopard's Windows integration, so it may be that therein lies the problem, and roll on 10.5.3.

11. huese macrumors newbie

same trouble with 10.5.2

hi solutionize,

i've the same problem, on a new w2003 Server.

Check first the share access it should be everyone full or exactly the user should be in this list who access this share.

afterwards check in the following path (registry in w2003 server) whether the restrictsecuritysignature is disabled. if not disable it and restart the server
    and check again.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters]