OSX 10.5.4 fan issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yoda13, Jul 11, 2008.

1. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

OK, did a search and didn't come up with anything and have gone through the first three pages of OSX posts and don't have time to go through the rest as I have to head to work.

Here is my problem, i upgraded my MacBook to 10.5.4 last night as well as all the other updates that software update said I needed...there was a handful of them...

Well, since I rebooted after install, my fans run constantly, which they were not doing before, and it is draining the battery too fast for the computer to be useful for as long as it normally is...and I have it set on best battery life...

I have repaired permissions twice now...that does not seem to help, I am getting married Saturday and going on my honeymoon, I would prefer to not have to try to do a clean install tonight afterwork, while I am trying to pack...anyone have any ideas? Please help me, as I am kind of desperate...I need my computer to work so I can download photos while i am gone...:)

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

It could just be an energy setting, is your Macbook set to "high performance"?

Though I do not know if this would actually apply to Mac OS X or Core 2 Duo's in particular. I do know that in Windows with an AMD processor if you have the energy preferences set to anything other than Portable/Laptop. Then speed stepping does not work. Thus the CPU runs at it's full frequency and power usage all the time. Rather than say clocking down from 2.4Ghz to 1.2Ghz when the CPU is idle or under light load, thus greatly reducing heat output and energy usage.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

4. yoda13 thread starter macrumors 65816

yoda13

Duff-Man, many thanks! That looks like it might do the trick! I am going to try it as soon as I get home from work!:)

velocityg4, it is set to best battery life, so that's not it but I appreciate the response!

5. yoda13 thread starter macrumors 65816

yoda13

Hey, I have an update, I have solved part of my problem...I used Activity Monitor to evaluate what was going on, before I got into the Terminal, and as it turns out, mail was refusing to quit and in its earnest to quit, it was pegging out the CPU...now, I don't know how to fix this, but at least I can get the fans to quit running by forcing mail to quit...everything else works perfectly...any ideas about how to fix it would be fabulously appreciated...:)