OSX 10.5 and USB drive help needed

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fkntotalkaos, Jan 29, 2008.

1. fkntotalkaos macrumors 6502

Alright I am new to OSX 10.5 and I am having problems with my USB Lacie drive I just got for my mini. On my laptop OS 10.4.11 I can drag and drop files to the USB drive as I have always done in OS X and OS 9. For some reason on my mini, which has 10.5.1 I can not do this without getting the error pictured below. I get this error code while trying to drag and drop large movie files to the Lacie drive. What am I doing wrong?:confused: Works fine in OS 10.4.11 but not on OS 10.5.1

Attached Files:

2. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Maybe try reformatting it on Leopard? Make sure you back up all your important files that are on the drive though.

3. fkntotalkaos thread starter macrumors 6502

How do I do this in Leopard:( Disk Utility?

Right now it is showing MS+DOS (FAT)

4. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

Yep. Open Disk Utility, go to the Erase tab, and set the Volume Format to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". Then click Erase.

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Right click on the drive and select "Get Info". Look for the format, if it is Mac OS Extended you shouldn't have problems. However, if it is MS-Dos or FAT-32 the problem is that the file system cannot handle files 4Gb or larger, but smaller files should work fine.

If it is the later then you need to reformat which will erase everything on the drive so take it off and put the data somewhere safe before doing it.

Open Disk Utility from Applications/Utilities. Select the drive from the list, click on the erase tab, choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and hit erase. Done.

6. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

IF it's in MS-DOS format you can't have files larger than 4GB on it. Attempting to do so will result in an unidentified error (error code '0').

If that's not the case, try a restart. Only after trying that would I reformat the drive.