OSX 10.5 DVD no longer able to boot with 10.5.5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iriejedi, Oct 9, 2008.

1. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

I was trying to update my back up drives (internal 160 GB drive - old mac and New Free Agent Pro HD Seagate) and I noted a few things.

Quick status - new intel Mac Pro 10.5.5 fully updated 6GB ram - 8800GT video card installed at Apple - otherwise stock

Free Agent Pro external used as previous boot disk for emergency 750GB (ie Used to be able to boot from this - may be 10.4)

Tried start up disk Free Agent not there.

Went to install 10.5 from ORIGINAL owned DVD - got a kernal panic. Tried several times kept getting message grey screen - you must restart this mac.. in like 4 languages.

Needless to say it seems that my emergency boot disk as well as my ecternal hard drive are no longer working.

Anyone else seen this?

My guess DVD - is from Pre Intel release

Would love to hear some input.

Iriejedi:apple:

2. iriejedi thread starter macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Answered my own Question

yup is was a combo of two things - new intel Mac Pro replacing G5 - ppc mac and the OS itself. Figured out both after using Mac Rumors as a shoulder to cry on.

Once I used the DVDs that came with intel mac (instead of retail Leopard DVD) I could boot again from the DVD drive, but I did have to reformat external drive Free Agent Pro to the GUID format. It was my time machine backup drive. BUt since all was well, I went for it.

Life is good again. Lost about 6 months of time machine - but hey 6 months or an hour... I'm happy with the way things are at the moment so what the heck. Not to mention having an external boot drive is a nice safety blanket.