OSX 10.6.3 won't boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by G-baby158, Apr 30, 2010.

1. G-baby158 macrumors newbie

EDIT: Updated information at the bottom!!!!! \/ !!!!!

Hi, right a few days ago i plugged in a HDD from another mac into my mac via an external HDD to recover some of the stuff off of there for a friend and after about 1-2minutes it had froze my mac and wouldn't do anything so i turned it off by the on/off button because that was the only way and now it won't boot, it stays at the apple logo screen with the little spinning sign going round and around. I also haven't got a back-up of my work so i really my stuff because theres about 200GB worth of data on there.
    If anyone could help me out into telling me how to get my mac to boot i would be really greatful.

Thanks, Greg.

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Boot from you install DVD and set startup disk to your internal HDD. You can also try to verify/repair your main HDD with Disk Utility. One of those should help.

3. G-baby158 thread starter macrumors newbie

666sheep: Ok i will try that, but why should this matter? because when i plugged the external HDD in i was already at the desktop and acessed it from the right hand side of the desktop screen.

SophBleep: Is there any need to comment if your only going to put 'weird'? That hasn't helped one bit and i feel your just writing to get your post count up.

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

First advice is just "blind shot" ;) Second is more accurate, because you had to force off your mac after freeze and there is a chance that some files on your boot HDD are damaged.
    If it will not help, try PRAM reset (all hardware settings will be back to default).

5. G-baby158 thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried resetting the PRAM, did nothing. Also i've tried booting from usb(Snow Leopard is on the usb) and it won't reconize it when i hold the option button it just shows EFI Boot. Could anyone help me with this please as i need my mac back :(

6. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

7. G-baby158 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just had a read through you link you posted up. I don't see how my usb isn't bootable because nothing has been chaged/touched since i used it to install SL. Is there any other way that i can do it as i don't really want to go out and buy another copy of SL just for it to be in disc. Can i reprogram the usb on a windows computer? will that reconize it?
    Thanks for your help.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Given that you can't buy SL on USB, only on optical media, my guess is that you mean that you don't want to buy SL at all. Do you have Leopard on optical disc?

Does your Mac have Firewire? Do you know anyone else with a Mac you could borrow (also with firewire)? If so, try starting your system up in target mode (hold T during boot) and see if you can access your data that way.

Sounds to me like you may have been the unlucky recipient of some static electricity on the USB port.

B

9. G-baby158 thread starter macrumors newbie

1. No i don't have anyone else with a mac to firewire mine with.
    2. No i don't want to buy SL AGAIN! And i have paid for my copy of it, I brought it off eBay and it came through e-mail, is that alright with you?

10. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

So you bought a shady copy. Apple does not distribute OS X that way (at least to consumers).

11. jtjones3 macrumors newbie

OSX 10.6.3 won't boot after external HDD plugged in

G-baby158,

I had the same problem with 10.6.3. I had to erase the internal hard drive and start over from a time machine backup. Now I only use the firewire port on my external hard drive.

I suggest paying the $29 for a legitimate copy of SL so you can reinstall.

12. G-baby158 thread starter macrumors newbie

Looks like i've been had on that one then!

Right, i've just been talking to a friend of mine on facebook (off of a mac forum i go on) and he says he's got this thing called 'Disk Warrior', He is willing to let me borrow it. Will this fix the problem? I've never heard of this program before so i need some advice on it because google are giving mixed descriptions of it. He also said it's version 4.2 if that makes any difference?

Thanks, Greg.

13. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

DiskWarrior COULD fix your issue. It's worth to try. v4.2 should be fine, it's 10.6 compatible.

14. G-baby158 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, right well i got the DiskWarrior off of my buddy but it hasn't helped, I turned macbook on, put disk in then restarted. Held down Option Key to choose what to boot, chose the DiskWarrior option and then it goes back to the grey screen with apple logo and spinning circle and then after about 30seconds goes from the apple logo to a like stop sign(the circle with the line through) and the circle keeps spinning, i didn't know what was suppose to happen as i had never heard of this 'DiskWarrior' before so left it for about an hour but it did nothing just stayed at the screen i have just spoke about. It's really bugging me now as i really need my mac back up and running.
    Also i've found my original disk that came with my macbook BUT it's 10.5 Leopard, not 10.6 Snow Leopard. Would i still be able to use this anyway or not?

Thanks, Greg.

15. G-baby158 thread starter macrumors newbie

Right after DiskWarrior not loading i went to the Apple Store and brought a copy of SL. Put disk into macbook went into Utilities and Disk Utility and clicked repair disk and it failed repairing. What the hell do i do now? I need my stuff off of there as i haven't got a back-up of it :( Can anyone help me please?