OSX 10.6.4 on eBay makes a clean install?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RIL, Aug 6, 2013.

1. RIL, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013

RIL macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Entirely new to Mac I'm out for a Snow Leopard DVD from which I can perform a "clean install". [EDIT: On a VM]

I need at least version 10.6.4. I found one at eBay but, is this really a full self contained version which will install a fully working OS from scratch on a formatted drive?

As said, I'm new to Mac and from what I've seen only 10.6.3 is shipped by Apple if buying old versions from them today, which is why I feel uncertain about the eBay items. (Example OS X 10.6.4 )

So, would the eBay example install on a formatted drive and result in a full version of OS X?

// RIL

2. Bear macrumors G3

The 10.6.4 disc might be a grey system restore version in which case it would only work on the hardware it was shipped with. I'm not sure how it would run in a VM.

3. RIL thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I also suspect, but since I've never myself have seen any packages for Mac I couldn't tell from the pictures.

Thanks for answering.

// RIL

4. chrfr macrumors 603

Apple never released anything newer than 10.6.3 as a retail installation, so anything newer must be machine specific. You can update 10.6.3 to 10.6.8, so why do you need an installer that's 10.6.4 or newer?

5. RIL thread starter macrumors newbie

The reason is that I have two machines, i5 and i7, and the Snow Leopard version I bought from the Apple store (10.6.3) is exactly the version which will NOT install on a Vmware on i3, i5 or i7 machines.

From 10.6.4 it is said to be Ok though.

But problem is of course that I won't be able to do the very first "clean install" using the 10.6.3 version, for later upgrade to any newer version. Sigh.

// RIL

6. chrfr macrumors 603

I recall once having a problem like that with an older version of Fusion on a 2010 MacBook Pro with an i5, but as a test using VMWare Fusion 5.0.3 on this late 2012 Mac Mini with an i7, I just now installed 10.6.3 without issue.