OSX 10.6.8 - Stickies application, only better?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OldCorpse, Nov 3, 2013.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

I'm still on 10.6.8, and I'd like a kind of Stickies application, but better. Here's what I need: the ability to QUICKLY create a new note - as quickly as possible, and for the notes to be persistent. What I don't like about the Apple Stickies is the brain-dead fact that you can't create notes quickly. Instead, you have to open the Stickies app (actually, I have it running always in the dock), or at least select it, and then you can use Control N for a new note. I'd love to skip that first step. I'd just like for there to be a shortcut to have a new note immediately.

There is one option, and that is Dashboard. In Dashboard, I have a note widget that always has an empty note displayed, so all I have to do is ONE click - invoke Dashboard, and immediately I got a new note. Here's the problem - it's dashboard, which means I can't work with that note while I have other apps open, so for example I can work with TextEdit and Stickies at the same time, but I can't fully do that with Dashboard, because I have to keep getting in and out of Dashboard every time I go to TextEdit. The other problem with dashboard is that I'd like the notes to be persistent the same way I can have a Stickies sitting on my desktop at all times, which is not something dashboard is designed to do.

Bottom line: is there an sticky notes type application that -

1) Can open a new note with ONE shortcut (i.e. without first having to select the app)

2) Notes are persistent on the desktop

3) I can work with that app and other apps in the same window

4) Works with 10.6.8

TIA!

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Maybe this tip from, Mac OS X Tips: 10 tips for Stickies, is all you need:

10. Create a Sticky note from selection
    Due to the Services menu in Mac OS X, you have access to Stickies whatever application you are in. Simply select any block of text anywhere and hit Command-Shift-Y to create a Sticky note with that selection.​

3. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

4. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

Here's the method of adding dashboard widgets to the desktop - although it may not be as seamless as DewGuy's suggestion.