OSX 10.6 - applications consistently crashing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blizeH, Feb 18, 2012.

1. blizeH macrumors 6502

Hi all,

My girlfriend's 1 year old MacBook has suddenly started acting up. Applications that have always been fine, are now crashing before they even start to load.

Photoshop crashes during the splash screen, as does OpenOffice. I have uninstalled and re-installed both with no joy, and the moment I realised something more sinsister was up was when I tried to install LibreOffice, that crashed out too.

I'm not very familiar with OSX so have no idea what to try beyond the good old uninstall/re-install method which hasn't worked. I've also just downloaded ClamXav which is running now (I just selected the hard drive and clicked run, it's taking absolutely forever, god knows why, it's a Core 2 Duo CPU fwiw and is usually quite nippy) but so far hasn't found anything wrong...

I'd really appreciate any advice or suggestions, thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you tried creating a new login account and testing with that account, to see if you encounter the same problems?
    You don't need any 3rd party antivirus app to keep your Mac malware-free. Macs are not immune to malware, but no true viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any since it was released over 10 years ago. You cannot infect your Mac simply by visiting a website, unzipping a file, opening an email attachment or joining a network. The only malware in the wild that can affect Mac OS X is a handful of trojans, which cannot infect your Mac unless you actively install them, and they can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.

3. MonkeyBrainz macrumors regular

MonkeyBrainz

Most of the time for me this type of issue has been related to a failing hard drive. You should definitely try to isolate the issue with the link Elb provided.

4. blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you all so much for the replies guys, turned out it was something to do with an application called 'SIMBL' that I installed to get a Windows 7-esque right/left aligned windows application working :$

5. MonkeyBrainz macrumors regular

MonkeyBrainz

That's what you get for trying to implement anything related to Windows on your Mac. :p Just kidding.

6. blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502

:D

On a side note, the 'Applications' folder icon now is the same as the address book for her?

She somehow moved applications from the dock, so I moved it back... but it has the wrong icon and I can't seem to change it (fwiw in Finder the icon is just fine)

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Right-click on the folder and select "Display as: Folder"

Restoring Folders to the Dock

8. blizeH thread starter macrumors 6502