osx 10.6 file transfer to windows xp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by fmerr001, Sep 17, 2010.

1. fmerr001 macrumors newbie

I just put windows xp on my mac osx 10.6 and I have a few.iso images I want to transfer over from my mac to the windows, but they are too large to copy onto my external because it is formatted to fat32. Is there a way to partition a small amount of my external so I can copy them and then bring them over to windows? Or is there an even easier option? Thanks in advanced

2. bkap16 macrumors member

Windows can only read two file systems: NTFS and FAT32. So you're pretty much out of luck with the partitions. You have a couple options for what to do.

First of all, the Boot Camp 3 drivers include read-only HFS+ drivers for Windows. That will let you copy them over from the Windows side.

Second, and you may want to do this just for future use as well, there are working read/write NTFS drivers for OS X. You can get them from here. There's two things on that page: NTFS-3G (free) and Tuxera (commercial drivers built on NTFS-3G). You can probably get away with just the free one, but the commercial ones are faster.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As bkap says, if your XP is running on the same Mac and you have all the drivers loaded you should be able to read them from where they are on the OS X partition. (for an ISO it should not matter if it is read only).

If you're trying to take them to a different machine you could look at using a multi-part RAR file or split/concat.

B