OSX 10.8 - Infuriating Mess

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MaltegoMisfit, Aug 12, 2012.

1. MaltegoMisfit macrumors newbie

I downloaded OSX 10.8 last night and let the update run. What an infuriating mess. Specifically:

1. Display on 13" Macbook Air looks washed out, over saturated in many apps. Adjusting brightness, fiddle with other settings, download third party apps - nothing seems to help. It isn't all apps, as my plain old Pro shell looks fine - black is actually black, not some weird radioactive glowing gray.

2. XCode command line tools broken. Much Googling, find a complex solution, then determine that it's easily resolved by re-installing the tools from within the updated XCode app.

3. Python completely screwed. Download and install from DMG - seems to have cleared it up.

4. I use Maltego all day, every day, and it depends on the Java Runtime Environment. Apple site doesn't have anything that works in 10.8, main search for Java on Oracle doesn't have anything, dig with Google and find the following:

-rw-r--r--@ 1 x staff 102002567 Aug 12 09:34 jdk-7u4-macosx-x64.dmg

Click it. Repeatedly. Nothing. Refuses to open.

5. Google Chrome looses ability to play Flash - no more YouTube. Go to http://google.com/chrome, get the DMG. This one ALSO refuses to open.

-rw-r--r--@ 1 x staff 43843950 Aug 12 09:56 googlechrome.dmg

6. Open Mail.app to send angry note about all this stuff to a colleague. Ut-oh, GPG Tools does not work with Mail.app version 6. Contact developers, it's a small team, they say it will be weeks before the update becomes available.

I have a $1,200 two pound paperweight here. How do I download a 10.7.4 install DVD so I can get back to work?

----------

Oh, and I did permit third party apps to load by visiting System Preferences | Security & Privacy and making the needed change in the General tab.

----------

Can't open PNG, JPG, or PDF using preview. I wonder what else isn't working ... grrr.

----------

OK, a light at the end of the tunnel. Libre Office is broke, too - won't start w/o the Java Runtime Environment. The official software update won't find what's needed, but this program knew where to get the right Java stuff, and my Maltego is restored.

2. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Repair your permissions. That will fix a lot of your issues.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

As you discovered, Java 7 can be obtained from Oracle. You can also get Java 6 (if you need a 32-bit JRE/JDK) by launching Java Preferences, in your Utilities folder, and letting OS X auto-download Java for you. The latest stable Java 7 is update 5, though... how you ended up with u4 I do not know. (By the way, 7u6 looks like it's VERY close to being released as a stable build.)

4. MaltegoMisfit thread starter macrumors newbie

further insults

Python not behaving - got Macports working, installed 2.7.3, no go. Discovered the official .dmg of python - still not right. Puzzling over the hundreds upon hundreds of entries - looks like every app that using python has a hierarchy of stuff attached?

And while tinkering with python Adium suddenly forgot that it has OTR enabled. Whacked it, reinstalled - no joy.

I am starting to wonder if the best thing here wouldn't be a clean start with a 10.7 installer. This is really turning into a muddled time sink.

5. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I respectively suggest that in the future that you resist upgrading the Mac OS as soon as it is available. Let others work out the bugs and delay upgrading until later... the .3 version is usually a safe bet but even earlier updates tend to fix the kind of problems that you are experiencing.

If you must upgrade you can partition the internal drive and upgrade only one volume. Or upgrade a cloned external drive and boot from that while you see how things work with the new OS.

6. AlphaCenturia macrumors newbie

I think you should download Onyx to repair permissions and such. Onyx is a free app that does the cleaning, repairing and fixing for you. If you are upgrading from one OS X to another, please make sure you download a new version of Onyx since every version of Onyx is compatible to one specific OS X (Lion for Lion, Mountain Lion for Mountain Lion).

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008