OSX 10.9.2 - Listed Twice After Updating?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by A4orce84, Feb 25, 2014.

1. A4orce84 macrumors regular

Hey Guys,

Found something odd after I updated to OSX 10.9.2 this evening. If you look in the Updates section in the App Store, I see the update installed twice:

Screenshot:
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure if this is due to a messed up installation or what. The only thing I did, was I initially selected to "not restart." So it downloaded the update, and then I chose to install it a few hours later after work.

Once I updated it, I noticed there were 2 listings in the screenshot above. Did something get messed up?

Thanks in advance for all the time and help, it is greatly appreciated!

Asif

2. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

Did you:

a) Restart?
    b) Repair permissions?

I'd suggest doing both.

3. w0lf, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014

w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

This was pretty normal for me while using the betas for them to show up 2/3 times and the public release also is showing twice for me. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you have ocd or something and it's bugging you. You can edit the updates that the App Store shows here: ~/Library/Application Support/App Store/updatejournal.plist

I'd suggest doing neither. I'm almost 100% certain the bug is related to not allowing the App Store to auto-install the update. It writes to the App Store update plist when it tries to install regardless of whether or not you actually let it do so.

I suspect if you canceled the update 5 times you would see 6 entries for the update in the App Store.

4. A4orce84 thread starter macrumors regular

Did it end up ultimately disappearing, or is the only way to "clean it" is to manually remove the entree?

----------

I restarted a few times, haven't repaired permissions just yet.

5. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

It will go away in 30 days just like any update. The App Store has no checks to verify anything in the plist so if you want something that's wrong gone you should just edit it out.

Attached Files:

6. A4orce84 thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds good. Anyone else confirm before I wash my hands of this issue completely? =)

Thanks w0lf for the help and feedback!

--Asif

7. ishark macrumors newbie

8. infobleep, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014

infobleep macrumors regular

Just left my father's computer upgrading, only to come back and find it the update needed to be installed so I did that.

Towards the end of the install it just hang. No beach ball, just the mouse pointer and the hard drive stopped as nothing being read from the disk.

Eventually switched off the laptop and on again. Now I can see there are two updates listed. It may be that the update had installed as I was trying to install it again, which is why it didn't fully work.

Clearly a bug I reckon but whether it's affecting everyone or just some people updating I don't know. I've not tried to update my own Mac yet. Might do this at the weekend and see what happens.

UPDATE: After restarting I clicked on the update and it appears to now be updating again. Whether that will cure the problem, we shall see.

9. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I don't think that's the problem. Seems more like an App Store bug where it shows double the updates. It was doing it throughout the 10.9.2 beta process too.

10. Tiptizzle macrumors 6502

I canceled the update once and I have it listed twice as well. Everything was working fine so I ignored it.

11. CucumberError macrumors newbie

I had this update install twice too, First time on the 26th and then again on the 3rd of March. I've had it suggested that it was a delta update and then the combo update. Not sure why.