OSX and Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dukebound85, Jan 18, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Say i have a blu-ray player

osx supports reading the drives data wise correct, just cant view them is my understanding

is there an app that strips the hdcp off the disc and allows one to rip the movie to hard drive and watch from there? aka like mac the ripper in a sense?

i know there is a windows program that strips the hdcp

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

AnyD... oh, you know about that. :p

I do not believe that a program exists for OS X, otherwise we'd have been all over that by now (we is me if no one else is interested).

Nermal details the process for getting HD DVD movies into OS X in another thread, but it's a long, convoluted process that takes about ten apps.

We need something CONCISE. Like HandBrake HD or something.

[insanely silly suggestion]Throw AnyDVD HD in a Cider shell and use it like that![ISS] :p

3. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

is the non- playback of blu-ray soley because of hdcp?

if such an app existed and i then turned around and burned that file as a video on a blu-ray disc, would it play?

i assume that vlc would have to support such playback as dvd player and quicktime most likely don't or will anytime soon

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes, it is. DVD Player will already play unprotected HD DVDs.

If you take off the HDCP and then burn the video back to a Blu-ray disk... It will be readable, at least. I don't know if the disk will play.

DVD Player supports HD DVDs without HDCP, but has no support for Blu-ray at this time.

5. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

well to dive into the debate on bluray yet again....lol

why dont they just add support? dont necessarily have to include the drives in the computer as there are many external options

only thing holding me back from building up a blureay library is that right now, i can only watch it on my ps3.

i will say i walk into bb or block buster and i see bluray taking up if not half of the options to buy or rent. dvd is getting faded out it seems

argh apple, you grind my gears

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

That's what I tried to bring up in my Gainestown Mac Pro thread, but no one has responded to this point yet.

Apple obviously has reasons for not including HDCP. Whether or not these reasons make sense to anyone but them is irrelevant, because they'll never listen to anyone else.

In my point in the other thread, I ignored trying to figure out why Apple doesn't include it now and focused on when I felt they would HAVE to add it to be competitive (perhaps with another "late to the game" admission).

But... there's just no logical reason behind them not adding HDCP to...

*revelation*

Apple's on the Blu-ray board. They've been there since it was the Blue-ray board, back before finalization of the spec.

Apple hates DRM.

Apple wrote an open letter to the music industry, saying (paraphrased), "You're all idiots."

Now iTunes has no DRM.

I can see Apple writing an open letter to the Blu-ray Consortium, calling for the removal of HDCP (or a reworking).

If Apple DOES this, you can bet that within just a few years, there will BE no HDCP on Blu-ray movies (or a reworking), simply because Apple told them to do so.

Now we just have to hope for that blue Apple logo to show up at the bottom of the main page with "An Open Letter" below it.

7. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

So you think its a drm issue? I remember apple including dvd rom drives and if im not mistaken, that was pretty early in the game for dvd adoption

what i dont get is even if its drm, monitors should be able to play them as they can on windows. all they would have to do is check the display with system profiler and see if the display is hdcp compliant and then allow that to playback the movie

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

See, I don't know; what else WOULD it be at this point in the game? Nothing else makes sense, unless there's something I'm overlooking.

I mean... come on! There's an HD option in DVD Player's preferences!

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

blu-ray requires that the operating system decode it in ring 0, the most secure ring. No one likes adding this kind of code down there - a bug can bring the whole system down. Apple prefers the idea of streaming or downloading via the iTunes or the web.

10. pdjudd macrumors 601

Probably for HD content recorded on Standard Blu-Ray. Possible but very limited obviously due to space limitations. The reason we have HD content on Blu-Ray's is that the capacity for such content is about 5-10 times the size of standard DVD's.

Its not the format of the disc, its the Codec and its resolution that I believe matter.